DjangoBooks.com

Donna Lee: Tune of the Month, Jan '07

Comments

• TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    hey jack,

I think I made the changes to the chart that you suggested, a useful little trick you can do on your computer is if you press Ctrl + print screen keys together, what ever is on your screen is captured to a bitmap which you can modify in photoshop or even microsoft paint, just open paint and paste (Ctrl +v) then do what ever you want with it.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Hi Tim,

Neat trick...I can't seem to find a print screen key on my keyboard, but I'm sure I can do it somehow. One thing, though: the bar where you put in the Cm/F changes is the wrong bar-it should be in the same column but the last row, where it would be preceded by a B diminished chord (bars 28 & 29.)

Again, thanks for the tip!

Best,
    Jack.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    edited January 2007 Posts: 1,379
    Hey that`s a nice trick but I couldn't`t find that key either so I just saved it by right clicking on it.
    I did another version with a few changes (hope it`s not too much...)
    On section B, measure 11 It`s an Fm with an Ab bass for those of you new to slash chords.
    The tritone subs (Gb7,B7, A7) a lot of times sound cooler if you add the 11+.
    I tried to add a little bass movement to the progression with some common substitutions, but you can use as little or as many of those new chords as you want, as Jack pointed out earlier you don`t want to step on the soloist or make the tune unrecognizable.
    Hope you like it!
  • CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    I don't have tab for this on my computer, but I will say the fingerings in the Bird for guitar book are daunting at best. I still can't play this tune up to where most people play it, but it is a great tune. I love to hear guitarists play it. I like the sub ideas everyone listed I willtry those out as soon as I get home.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • DuozonaDuozona Phoenix, AZNew
    edited January 2007 Posts: 159
    Blues Bop Harry

Nice chart, thanks. Everyone really, great set of posts, I should have been following the 'tune of the month' threads all along, now I'll be more active when I can.

Im a fan of the tri-tone sub's myself, never found they step on the toes too much. Personally, there more of an alteration to me than a substitution, but Im one who feels diminished in place of a dom7 is also not a sub but an alteration, and things like a C6 vs. Am7 isnt anything but an inversion. All that of course assumes one is not talking about function, which is really the most important thing in my mind, how does a chord act, where is it going.

Anyway, one thing in that last chart above, should measure 6 have been an A7, filling in chromatic movement from Bbm7 to Ab:

so Bbm7-A7-Ab (altered ii-V-I)

as it is, with the B7 in measure 6, it seems a little striking resolving to Ab. What do you all think?

-Chuck
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    Duozona wrote:
    Nice chart, thanks. Everyone really, great set of posts, I shoukd have been folowwing the tune of the months threads all along, now I'll be more active when I can.

This is exactly the sort of thing I've been hoping to see from everyone; it's great! Thanks all for making it happen!
    Duozona wrote:
    Anyway, one thng in that last chart above, should measure 6 have been an A7, filling in chromatic movement from Bbm7 to Ab:
    so Bbm7-A7-Ab (altered ii-V-I)
    as it is, with the B7 in measure 6, it seems a little striking resolving to Ab. What do you all think?

I think I agree here, though my guitar isn't by my side...my suspicion would be that you'd either stick with the original Eb7 or use the tritone sub A7 to keep the chromaticism.

Best,
    Jack.
  • TimmyHawkenTimmyHawken Lansing,MINew
    The printscreen key should be located just to the right of F12 ( it may also be labeled "sysrq") but if your using a laptop it might be some where else, im not sure, anyways sorry I goofed up what you meant on the chart.

also I just wanted to say that I really appreciate what you guys are doing on this site, its really helpful to a guy who lives in Lansing, MI where isnt much of a GJ scene, It was a steep decline when I moved from Chicago where there is a great GJ scene there with Alfonso Ponticelli and the Old Town School of Music and many others playing, I really miss having those weekly Jams and being able to get tips from some really great players.
  • BluesBop HarryBluesBop Harry Mexico city, MexicoVirtuoso
    Ooops..Yes you`re right it should be an A7...I`ll change that right away.
    Also I think B dim / D dim might work better for measure 12 of section B.

Glad you like it!
    And thanks to Jack for this great idea of a tune of the month.
  • chapchap ✭✭✭
    Now here is a take on donna lee I have not imagined before:

Picking style with the oud players is similar to that of gypsy picking, but I have never been sure what those guys are using for a pick.
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator
    I would like to see a Hot House/What Is This Thing Called Love "tune of the month" in the future also.

Whatever happened to Tony, the bebob guy that used to be on these forums all the time?