DjangoBooks.com

Gitane 250M Modification

2»

Comments

• djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    I just got my 250M today and took it to jam tonight. My first reaction was I wanted to get a sharpie and color it in.

But after spending a couple of hours with it, it's clear the adjustment isn't a big deal. You could drive in England, right? :wink:
  • Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Funny I do the sharpie thing on guitars that have the 9th fret mark.

Cheers
  • jsiethjsieth New
    I had a similar where am I cnfusion at first also. It get annoying going for the fret marker like it was an american guitar and then realizing you are playing the wrong arpeggio or something. I finally am just getting used to it mostly I think it makes more sense than the american style. Who's idea was it to put a fret marker on the C# of the e strings anyway?? I have a friend who plays traditional jazz by ear and he ended up putting a red dot on the top of the neck at the 8th fret so he can find the C natural easily.
    I put a little dot of white out on top of the neck at 12, 15 and 17 fret. ( Probably not the best choice for adding a dot but what do I know I am a guitar player. If I were you I would forget about having the fretboard inlay moved and just add a dot to the top on the neck if you need to.
  • Craig BumgarnerCraig Bumgarner Drayden, MarylandVirtuoso Bumgarner S/N 001
    Adding dots is easy. I added white dots to the side of the neck on my Gitane which did not have side dots on the 12th or the 15th. I tried a variety of markers and paint but these wore off in no time. So I bought a "stick" of dot material from Stewart McDonald (available in white or black, 1/16" or 3/32", my Gitane uses 3/32"). I drilled a 3/32" hole about 1/8" deep where ever I wanted dots, dipped the stick in a bit of Super Glue and pushed the stick in to the hole. It adheared right away. I trimmed of the stick with side cutters and then wittled the dot down flush with a sharp chisel, 600 grit wet and dry paper and then polished it out with a little rubbing compound. I put a double dot on the 12th and a single on the 15th. Looks "factory". All together, this took about 15 minutes. I might add dots to the 3rd and 17th someday.

Craig