DjangoBooks.com

jazz guitar joe pass help

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
edited November 2006 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 2,161
Hi i'm looking for a list of Rhythm Changes type tunes played by Joe Pass and/or Wes Montgomery, I'd appreciate any help!

Comments

Hi, Dennis.

I don't if these were all played by Wes and/or Joe, but they're rhythm changes tunes from the bop era and therefore more than likely to have been played by Wes or Joe.

-Anthropology
    -Blue's Theme
    -Celerity
    -Celia
    -Crazeology
    -Bouncin' with Bud
    -Salt Peanuts
    -Cottontail
    -Dizzy Atmosphere
    -Lester Leaps IN
    -Moose the Mooch
    -Meet the Flinstones
    -Move (A sec only)
    -Oleo
    -Shaw Nuff
    -Steeplechase
    -Turnpike
    -Wail

P.S. Here's a link of a list of rhythm changes tunes: http://abel.hive.no/oj/musikk/trompet/tpin/rhytm-changes.html

Hope this helps. Speaking of Joe, I've been digging his takes on Fleur d'Ennui and Cavalerie lately. Very cool interpretations.
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
    thanks for the reply, but i know most of these tunes, i'm looking for anyone tunes specifically played by pass or wes.. i dont think i've ever heard wes play a rhythm changes!
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    Hi Dennis,

Wes did "Cottontail" on an incredibile album entitled "So Much Guitar". I'm not familiar with any other rhythm changes tunes recorded by Wes.

Joe recorded many such tunes including Seven Come Eleven, Cottontail, Good Bait, Stuffy, Oleo and BELLVILLE (on a great album entitled "Summer Nights").

Happy listening, Wes and Joe are my favorite guitarists of all time. Joe was very influenced by Django. Wes by Charlie Christian.

Cheers,

Marc

www.hotclubpacific.com
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    Joe plays "Oleo" on his album "Joe Pass Quartet Live At Yoshi's"
    if there was anyone who could answer my question it had to be tim, the man of the hour!! thanks! by now, you've probably totally assimilated pat's playing in your django style!! Django Martino!
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Hi Dennis,

Wes also recorded a rhythm changes tune with Clark Terry while on tour in England.
    He also plays on Sam Jones' original tune, Scrambled Eggs, which is based on rhythm changes (in the key of F) but with a different bridge.

- Tom
    thanks marc! for some reason i had missed your reply earlier... and thanks to you too tom...

tom, do you have the name of the album?
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Dennis,

The Wes Montgomery /Clark Terry CD is a live recording that has been issued under several different titles. My copy is titled "Straight No Chaser".
    The tracks are, Straight No Chaser, Just Friends, In A Mellow Tone, Wes Got Rhythm, and The Theme.

Scrambled Eggs is on Nat Adderley's Work Song:
    http://www.amazon.com/Work-Song-Nat-Add ... B000000YKA

- Tom
  • thripthrip London, UKProdigy
    dennis wrote:
    by now, you've probably totally assimilated pat's playing in your django style!! Django Martino!

If only that were true!