DjangoBooks.com

Promotional CD?

JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
edited October 2006 in Archtop Eddy's Corner Posts: 1,752
Hi all,

I've been thinking about this for a little bit and I'm hoping someone will have some experience with something similar. My basic goal is to help spread the word about our trio via the people who come to our shows. We've been playing the same gig every other week for a year now and have at least a good 12-20 people who show up every time. During the last few months we've been trying to record the gigs (when we can remember to turn the DAT on), and at this point we've certainly got enough material to fill a CD.

Now, I realize live recordings have their limitations, but I'm thinking about putting together a "Live at..." disc that we could hawk for $5 at that particular gig, so the diehards could play it for their friends and, ideally, interest them in coming to another gig, buying our future CDs, etc. It wouldn't really cost me much-some CD-Rs, some printer ink, some cases. This wouldn't be a demo CD for other venues-just something for fans.

So my questions are:
Have any of you done this, or something similar, and how did it work out?
Is it a bad idea to put out a live recording before a studio disc?
What information would you include on the live CD?
What about the price? How many tunes would you expect for a $5 disc?
Is it worth giving away free copies to hardcore fans?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as the thread goes on; let me know what you all think...

Best,
Jack.