DjangoBooks.com

Best cheap pickup?

SeamusSeamus easthampton, maNew
I am in big need of a pickup for a Dell Arte Pigalle, but, because I'm saving my pennies for a better guitar down the road, I don't want to fork over much cash for a mere pickup right now. I just want something functional that won't sound completely awful. I've been using a homemade piezo and it just ain't gonna cut it in the long run. Has anyone had good experiences with low-end pickups like the stick-on Dean Markley or similar? I'll be playing it through an amp, but I'm not sure which one yet.

thanks!

Comments

• pdaiglepdaigle Montreal, QCNew
    You can check out the Schertler Basik (around 120$ I believe)...it's what Andreas uses: great sound, great price and you can use it on that new guitar once you get it!.
    Hmmm...I just checked around the web and the price of the Basik is more between 150-200$USD...maybe a little high for what you are looking for. Great pickup, though.
  • SeamusSeamus easthampton, maNew
    That is a bit pricey, but you have a good point-- portability to the next guitar. Probably becomes worth it in that case. Thanks!
    If you want to have an idea what kind of sound it produces check out this video of Andreas using a Basik to amplify Dennis' Collins

• SeamusSeamus easthampton, maNew
    I heard that first-hand! :D
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    I've been using the Basik for most of my performances (that's actually my Basik that Andreas is using in the video.) I think they're great...they capture the crunch of Selmers very well, are feedback resistant, and require no install.

We have them for $150:

Basik
    Pickups

• Blue DragBlue Drag S.F. Bay Area✭✭✭✭
    Do you need a pre-amp for the Basik? Can you use it into an acoustic amp without a preamp, into a P.A.?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    You don't need a pre-amp. However, sometimes it's nice because a pre-amp will give you more gain. Since the Basik is electro static, you can only use the Schertler Stat-Pre pre amp.

In the vid, Andreas went straight into the PA w/out a pre-amp.