DjangoBooks.com

What height action is your guitar set to?

2»

Comments

• pdgpdg ✭✭
    Anyone know what action Benoit Convert or Adrien Moignard use? Watching and listening, it seems like it would be pretty low.
  • pdgpdg ✭✭
    For Bob Holo, what action do you recommend in general for Argie mediums (011s) on a long-scale?
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited October 2016 Posts: 1,457
    Bob already addressed this in a youtube video here. Something in 2.3mm-2.6mm is an acceptable range for the action on the high E string. Action is measured from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string at the 12th fret (the midpoint of the string). The bass strings are generally set a bit higher than the trebles, so something around 3mm on the low E.
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    My Dupont is about 2.7 on the bass and 2.4 on the treble. I have tried lower and the guitar loses volume. I think I have it dialed in exactly at the sweetest spot, LAPWOB (low as possible without buzzing) while still keeping enough tension on the top for full volume. I think that sweet spot will be different for each Selmac.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • My DuPont is at 2.9 and 2.5. Its a shorter scale and varies a bit between summer and winter
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed
  • bluetrainbluetrain Finland✭✭✭ Cach, Epiphone Triumph, Gibson ES-300
    pdg wrote: »
    For Bob Holo, what action do you recommend in general for Argie mediums (011s) on a long-scale?

If you look back at this thread you will find Bob writing this:
    "But to answer your question directly, I don't play with action that high anymore and I've played several of Dennis' newer guitars and also lent him some for shows and none of them had high or inverted setups like that, so I think it might have been an equipment related thing. I do ~2.75/2.1mm for my 670 scale guitar and about 2.9/2.25mm for my 640 scale guitar, and if you have a good guitar it shouldn't require a high setup or an unusual inverted setup with higher treble strings than bass."
  • pdgpdg ✭✭
    Yes, but he didn't specify 010s vs 011s.
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15
    Maybe he's assuming .010s on a long scale.
  • 11's on a long scale are pretty tense and tend to get a bit bassy to my ear. Great on my Dupont shorty
    The Magic really starts to happen when you can play it with your eyes closed