DjangoBooks.com

Cigano GJ-10 in Superior Deluxe Gypsy Jazz Case...doesn't fit!

Hi Django Members.

I recently bought a Cigano GJ-10 in order to get into the world of Gypsy jazz. It didn't come with a case but today I found a Superior Deluxe Gypsy Jazz Case (Brown) for a good price...new. Shape-wise, the guitar fits in the case very snugly but properly; no shifting around, that's for sure. The problem is when I close the top it presses against the bridge. If i just let the top sit naturally there is about a 1/4" gap between the lid and case body. In order to actually clasp the top closed I have to push the top down for the latches to meet. There seems to be a lot of pressure pushing down on the bridge and it worries me that something is going to give: the bracing, crack the top etc...

This is a recommended case for this guitar so I find it strange that it's such a suspect fit. I almost bought the "Altamira Deluxe Gypsy Jazz Guitar Case" here because it look great but now I don't know what to do for a case. I can still return it and even the salespersons was suspicious about closing the case completely.

Any advice would be really helpful: Return the case? just go with a gigbag (which I had but it was too floppy...any recommendations there?). Try a different case?

I'm in Canada and there aren't many options for this genre of guitar.

Thanks for your time,

Archetype

Comments

• murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

I had the dilemma of shopping from a distance and not knowing whether a (different) instrument would fit.

I checked Guardian classical guitar cases (CG-series) at a local store and found a good fit. I never would have thought from the specs alone it would fit. I got the CG-022-P, which is, oddly, for a Parlor Acoustic. I thought those were tiny.

Mine has just under 16" lower bout width. I think the body was 4" at one end (top?) and 3-1/2" at the other (bottom?). I think there was about 1" extra height for the bridge. I had trouble comparing numbers because mine has some arch also.

When I strum it and close the case I can still hear the strings ringing.

Guardian also made a small archtop case which I was going to drive to 'fit check' but local store solved my problem.

Murray

• murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

The 22 series have the title Deluxe Archtop cases https://www.guardiancases.com/cg022

SO 20-series might not be of any use, but for comparison. You may see how they differ from archtop cases in the 'height' category. https://www.guardiancases.com/cg020

The spec for the CG-022-P says 15.25" lower bout so I would have thought it was too small (mine being 15.75"), but it fits without forcing it in. I was told it should be close but not loose.

there are deep archtop and Gypsy Jazz versions in this series.

CG-033-D might be another with enough depth and bout width, and a 5-ply instead of 7-ply in the 044 series might make the 033 cheaper.

Wow murrayatuptowngaller, thanks for the fantastic response. I just finished measuring my guitar and the dimensions are similar to yours: body thickness around 4.5" and the bridge about 1" high...5.5" (14cm) thick. The current case interior is about 5" high without compression the foam. I don't know how Cigano says that this is the hardcase for this guitar. I can't help but think that the guitar is somehow not right in the body. The back has an arch and the top has an arch along with the high bridge. And I thought my Gretsch had a high bridge!

I looked at the Guardian cases. The CG-033-D is pretty much too big but the depth is good @ "5.5". The CG-044-GJ (Gypsy Jazz) cases is better but still a bit big but, again, it has a 5.5" depth. that said, I can't find ANY Guardian cases for sale anywhere.

The main issue is finding a case with 5.5" interior depth. I'm starting to think perhaps a soft Dread case like a levy https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LDREADGB200--levys-deluxe-gig-bag-for-dreadnought-guitars-tan. Even now I have doubts about the "ProTour Gitane Gig Bag" which I see for sale here. how do I know it will fit the 5.5" thickness of my guitar?

I just noticed something on the Saga guitar site. The case that I bought apparently is a "perfect companion with any Gitane Gypsy Jazz Guitar purchase". I'm now wondering if there is a depth difference between Guitane guitars and Cigano guitars and the Cignaos (mine at least) are too deep to fit in the case. That would suck terribly if the case only fit 50% of the guitars that it could fit.

• luckylucky New

Did you buy the Cigano new or used? If it’s used, it’s possible someone changed the bridge - that used to be pretty standard advice to Cigano owners as a cheap upgrade. I got a new bridge for my Cigano but didn’t end up using it as it was about twice the height of the original one.

I’ve never had a problem closing the case on any of my Selmer-type guitars. I have a Hiscox as my main hard case - which is the default many luthiers ship with. I tend to prefer gig bags though - look out for ones which have a strap for the neck that should stop it being too floppy.

Hey Lucky.

I got the guitar used. I don't think it was ever stored in a case but it's actually in good condition. The high "E" (and sometimes the "B") fretted out on 12th fret when I first got it. I've been humidifying it and that has sorted it out mostly. The bridge is pretty shabby looking and has definitely been shimmed probably to sort out the neck/body joint hump. Even so, the issue is that the case is 1/2" too shallow. The Hiscox case looks great but I'll keep that investment for when I have a better guitar.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

I've never come across a Cigano that didn't fit perfectly in a Superior deluxe case, or any standard Gypsy case for that matter,

The Guardian site is outdated, they stopped making Gypsy cases years ago.

murrayatuptowngaller