DjangoBooks.com

nickel strings by Carlos Pavicich?

djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

Has anyone had any experience with these "pure nickel" strings? A set includes a wound 3rd string & the gauges are on par with our standard gypsy jazz gauges -- which is what I'm looking for. I have never heard of this brand.

I'm interested in stringing either one of my Selmacs with nickels (i.e., electrics) to go with my Peche A la Mouche or my archtop with my DeArmond FHC for a more modern electric guitar sound (and the balance is better, I understand, with nickels too.) I'll probably have to experiment with this rig to get what I'm looking for but these seem to be the thing for the strings.

Tagged:
BucoDoubleWhisky

Comments

Let us know if you end up trying them, sounds interesting.

djazzy
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I've just ordered two sets, be interesting to hear how they sound.

Bucodjazzy
    always learning
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

Finally, after a month I received two sets of strings from Carlos Pavivich. They had been sent incorrectly and were refused by UK customs and returned to France. On first view the only difference between these and other nickel strings seems to be the loop end. The loop ends are slightly smaller than the tailpiece pegs and took a bit of stretching to get them on. They give a stronger and more balanced sound on JWC Favino replica using a Gabojo Kleio pickup. Acoustically they are nowhere near sounding like my usual Argentines.

I suspect these strings are made by Phillippe Bosset as the internal paper packaging for individual strings is identical to Bossets except it has Carlos Pavivich rather than Bosset printed on it.

billyshakesBucodjazzy
    always learning
  • djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

Thanks crookedpinky! I'm still on the fence about these strings given the price. I'll probably get them eventually.

It could be that he's not set up for his own manufacturing so he connected with someone that does and is using his own recipe. Not exactly apples for apples, more like steel for corn, but many successful beer and whiskey brands in the US outsource brewing and distilling using their custom recipes. If he's doing the same thing, that's very resourceful.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel