DjangoBooks.com

BYO - width of bridge fulcrum..?

Hi guys! (been a while..!)

Anybody know what the conventional wisdom is around the width of the 'fulcrum' at the top of a bridge is?

You know, the bit where the string makes contact with the bridge.

(is there a standard?)

Is it 'the wider the better'? Is it (as I'd have guessed) 'the narrower the better'?

If so, how narrow is too narrow? At what point do we start unnecessarily breaking strings? (I HATE changing strings!!)

Please discuss, fellows.

Thanks. Big love x

BucoWillie

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Good question. My guess would be narrow if for no other reason than you want the bridge to be as light as possible. But not too narrow or it would be very fragile and easily cracked. Also you do want some reasonable amount of surface for the string to bear against. Seems like 2.5mm or there abouts should be about right.

Buco
  • AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

Ask **** - I think he's the expert on making bridges!

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

The Collins book shows 1.5mm.

I make mine a little wider ~2.5 and tweak the entry and exit portion of the slot with fine abrasive cord (Mitchell)

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805

Like Gouch said: I also think a "Very Small" Intro and exit slot angle tweak on the bridge "truss" can improve string life and tuning smoothness due to less angle grab of strings(wound strings) on mostly the headstock side of the bridge. Be Very Careful thou with a guitar that has good intonation up the neck already.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Use a graphite pencil on the notches to help the strings slide and reduce snappages.

• AndrewUlleAndrewUlle Cleveland, OH✭✭✭ Cigano GJ-15

Strange how the asterisks show up when the post published…