DjangoBooks.com

Looking for a documentary called “DjangoMania!”

dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator
in Welcome Posts: 2,161

Hi folks! It’s been a while since I posted here! Glad to see that things are still active! Maybe some of you know, but I moved to Japan. It’s been a blast but after spending so much time here, I started thinking about certain things; namely the drastic difference in culture between pretty much all the cultures I’ve experienced and Japanese culture. Even among east Asian cultures that share certain common traits, Japan is on another planet hahaha. I

That got me thinking about a documentary called DjangoMania that I’m hoping to watch again, I was wondering if anyone might have a digital copy somewhere. I tried contacting the guy who made it but couldn’t get a reply.

It’s basically a controversial documentary where the guy travels the world and pretty much makes fun of Gypsy Jazz fans. There’s a particular scene in Japan that I want to see again.

From what I remember, he basically tricks the Japanese GJ fans to say something along the lines of “We love Gypsy Jazz, but in our culture, Gypsies would not be welcome”. It wasn’t exactly like that but something to that effect and from what I recall the Japanese fans didn’t realize they were being made fun of.

It’s been interesting observing the Japanese GJ scene which I think is the biggest scene in the world (per capita) outside of western Europe. It’s so very different though and I keep thinking about that Japanese scene!

Anyway, if anyone has a digital copy somewhere, please let me know!

Comments

• lorenzoplorenzop New
    edited June 2023 Posts: 26

This does not say the name of this documentary, but I've not seen this before

https://moviezflixz.lol/watch/tt0480374

Looks like it could be watched here, not sure if I take the risk . .

• Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity
    edited June 2023 Posts: 1,261

I think that is the Canadian film made by Jamie Kastner where he tries to undermine, embarrass and sarcastically disagree with all the people he interviews. It has some interesting music in it but many of the inferences and statements by Kastner are, at best, gross distortions and often utter nonsense. At one stage he tries to undermine a group of gypsies and make them look like idiots by suggesting Django was a collaborator in WWII. A great opportunity missed by the desire to sensationalise everything at the expense the truth. I think it used to be on YouTube.

Djangomania - Cave 7 (cave7productions.com)

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Yes Jamie Kastner’s film ! I really want to watch it again. I tried contacting him directly but didn’t get a reply!

That particular scene when he traveled to Japan, I want to know if I know those people haha. I know at least one of them. Living here and seeing the culture and the way people think here really reminded me of this one scene!

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

The youtube clip you posted is Django Legacy. I think the BBC produced it in the 90s. It is very influential in bringing this style back to prominence into the early 2000s. I had an old VHS copy that I ordered after Neil Andersson told me to watch it. Definitely worth your time if you haven't seen the whole thing before. It might be like the gypsy jazz version of Heavy Metal Parking Lot, but without the irony.

stuology
  • scotscot Virtuoso

Djangomania! was a pathetic "documentary" on many levels, made by a dolt who got his job because he came from a long established family of CBC "journalists". He basically accused Django of collaboration, a subject he clearly knew absolutely nothing about. He also set up/selectively edited a number of very good people in ways that made them look like members of some dopey cult. Of course, it is kind of a cult but you don't want to see yourself or people you like portrayed that way! The guy who made it did not like his subject matter or the people he was filming and that comes across the entire 60 sad minutes. The kind of sanctimonious guy I couldn't be in a room with for 5 minutes before I'd want to punch him in the nose.

Of course, I'll be happy to send you a DVD, Dennis. I don't know how to convert it to an mp4 and it would probably be to large to transfer anyway. I've sent many things to Japan without a problem - just send me a PM with your address.

Re "Django Legacy", in my mind it's still the best documentary ever made about this kind of music, with iconic performances and an overall good vibe, made by people who really do like the music.

BucobillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

As soon Dennis described it I was wondering what kind of a sad soul would go out of their way and put in an to make a documentary like that...

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • dennisdennis Montreal, QuebecModerator

Oh my !! Yes Please Scot!!! I will find a way to digitize it!!

rudolfochrist