DjangoBooks.com

May Song Of The Month--Swing 39

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Nice, Bill. When we play it, I play the head noted in DFB as the guitar part. But sometimes if we're a quartet (or have a fourth playing sitting in), the other player will play the harmony at the same time on the head. It's a nice touch to a real gem in the GJ repertoire.

• crothcroth ✭✭

My GJ jam band played this today and, as coincidences would go, this very topic came up.

What surprises me is the intensity of the beliefs between using a Gm or Bb. In my opinion, if you look at the theory, a Gm7 and a Bb6 are actually inversions of each other, ie. the same chord but simply inversions, and named depending on whether you use a G in the bass or a Bb in the bass. I believe you can accomplish this, if it’s important to you, by having the guitars play a Gm7 and the bass player playing a Bb.

Gm triad = G-Bb-D Gm7 = G-Bb-D-F

Bb triad = Bb-D-F Bb6 = Bb-D-F-G

So me, being no expert, would appreciate it if someone would explain where the mistake is in my thinking and why this is such an oft-debated issue? Thanks.

That is a neat idea.

This often comes up in conversations, like "such is the same as such, only difference is..." etc... Yes, on paper they're almost the same but harmony content is different, your ear forms a completely different picture. Pick whichever and you'll be fine. But my ear tells me they aren't one and the same.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

What's funny is that the guitar players can play either the g minor or the Bb major, but what ever the bass player decides becomes law. in this case the bass player is god.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited May 2023 Posts: 1,457

Let's set things straight here, the bass player should play what the guitarist tells them to play. And the guitarist should tell them to play Bb.  😁

If bass player wants to be god they have to go play in a funk band instead..

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesrudolfochrist
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Whoever gets the gig is God and can decide what chord to play.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesrudolfochrist
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

For those who don't know, the melody adds a 6 "g" to the Bb major and a flat7 "f" to the g minor. Since Bb major 6 and Gmin7 are just inversions of each other (they literally have the same notes), then whatever is the lowest note will determine if it's a Bb or a Gmin. This is why the bass is god, not the actual bass player, unless it's jaco.