DjangoBooks.com

Help identify?

I've found these two old guitars. No labels or anything on them. Do anyone know?

Comments

The pick guards look crude but the guitars seem well built. How do they play?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • DaphneDaphne New

My thoughts aswell! I don't know mate unfortunately, they are for sale in a different part of the country.

Asking price is about 500$ each.

• db5db5 New

Hi there -

To me that D Hole looks like a Cigano GJ15 (or possibly a Gitane D500) that has been refinished. Rosette looks like Saga stuff to me. So does the cheaper tailpiece & the general construction of the neck heel and the headstock -- assuming the pic you shared of the back of the guitar is of the D Hole model. (The back looks maybe more like a GJ15). Also those moustaches look like original Saga stuff while the bridge clearly is not.

The oval hole looks like a vintage guitar of some sort based on that rope-like binding & the fingerboard design where it meets the sound hole...maybe someone else can place it.

I wouldn't venture the D hole Maccaferri is anything more unique than a Saga instrument. (Though it has the looks of something a bit more storied with the color of the top and all that wear. Maybe someone tried to make the newer D Hole match the vibe of the older Oval hole?).

...Maybe I'm off the mark...but there is a guess for you.

Happy Shopping!

db

The top on D hole has too many cracks to be a Gitane. And at $500 it's too much of a risk I'd think. The top on the oval hole seems crack free.

• AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I'd buy the oval-hole , without mentioning the 'B" word

Buco
  • DaphneDaphne New

Thanks all! Yeah the oval one is also 100$ cheaper. Might pull the trigger. And maybe change that tailpiece. But it's also tricky when you have no idea how it plays. But the market in Sweden isn't really that big.

• B25GibB25Gib Bremerton WA✭✭✭✭ Holo Busato, Dell'Arte Hommage, Gitane D-500, Eastman AR805

The oval hole model may have a crudely done salvage repair due to the wood pickguard covering a damaged top - and may have a crack by fretboard on lower bout - very dark discoloration. Very small poorly carved moustache ends and way too narrow saddles on both models. Also: If both models "staged" the same for pics, why does the oval hole model look like the fretboard meets body at fret 12.5? Nice tailpiece though! Risky buy to my eyes!

• stuologystuology New

Is there a pickup in the D-hole? It kooks like there is some kind of wiring and something metal at the top.

For $400 I'd potentially go for the oval hole, but asking first and trying to make sure the guitar is a playable instrument. I thought also in both the pickguards are there for repair purposes, by amateur. There's something funky on the oval hole photo, fingerboard looks stained, possibly gauged, where the neck meets the body. So ask lots of questions and try to get some guarantees before sending money.

• DaphneDaphne New

Okey I got cold feet. Found two Gitanes, a DG255 and a DG250M. Might spend some more to get something more quality. Used to have a Cigano GJ15 that i liked, can't imagine i will be disappointed in one of these.

Buco