DjangoBooks.com

2022 Mordeglia Wappen | Blog

image2022 Mordeglia Wappen | Blog

2022 Mordeglia Wappen

Read the full story here

Bucodjazzy

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

Another highly original and unique guitar from Riccardo!

Bucobillyshakesdjazzy
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

This is an interesting take on the Wappen. It looks like it has "broader" shoulders, rather than the "droopier" ones on the original models & their clones. It almost looks like it is just a mirror of the Selmer cutaway. Also takes away the upper bout double soundholes in favor of a nicely shaped oval. No doubt these are some of the "adaptations" you speak about to improve on the original. Very interesting instrument and nice to see luthiers like him or JWC who look to some of these lesser-known older instruments outside of the norm for inspiration.

That's like he took a lefty and a righty guitar, cut them in half and spliced them together. There must be another one without cutouts.

I like it really, lots of nice touches throughout. I'm a fan of cherry and a spruce top from an old piano!? Now that's some really cool repurposing.

But I'm also a fan of two symmetrical soundholes by the shoulders on originals. I once read Ken Parker say something like "you're relying on this plate to produce the sound and then you put a big hole right in the middle? That's nuts!". Ever since I was intrigued with that idea. And maybe the Wappen design followed similar thinking.

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@Buco this guitar works equally well for lefties. Just flip the bridge and you’re good to go.

BucoGouch
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Great sound.

djazzy
  • scotscot Virtuoso

And here is a photo of Gusti Malha with Jo Bouillon's orchestra c1936, with a double cutaway grande bouche, proving once again that there isn't much new under the sun

MichaelHorowitzwimbillyshakesrudolfochristBucoDoubleWhiskyWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsvoutoreenie