DjangoBooks.com

Argentine lights vs. extra lights

2»

Comments

• Josh HeggJosh Hegg Tacoma, WAModerator
    Thanks for the input Ted. Have you ever heard one of these pickups?
    Also the price is in Swiss francs so the price would be better then in eros but still close to the same price as a Stimer. I like the sound of the Stimer some times but other times it sounds like crap. I think that probably has to do with the amp setting of the player. I have a picky ear for the electric sound because I really don't like it. It has to be right on or not on at all.

Cheers
    The one Stimer sound I can't stand is Note Manouche. I only have one CD if his (not sure what it is call). His plane guitar tone is a bit odd anyway but the Stimer sound is just terrible. I have heard some live concerts where guys used a Stimer and is sounded bad but that could have been the PA guy. The best Stimer sound in my opinion is Django. I know it's a cliche but he just had a great (magnetic pickup) sound. I have messed around with my arch top to the point that I can get a tone that I like so I think if I mess with a Stimer or something like it I can find a tone.. Maybe. The problem is that you can't just walk into a music store and try one out.

Can you tell me how the ST51 and the ST48 differ in sound?

Cheers
    Hmm... There is one song that he plays where is tone sounds different then all the other songs. It thought that was a Stimer but as you can see I really don't know at all obviously. :)

I'm not going to use a Stimer on the Dunn. I have another guitar I was gong to try it on that has the standard Selmer bracing so I think it will work. But good call. I'll have to make sure and do my research before I make a purchase.

I have a small tube amp that I use for my arch top that, I think, sounds great when set up correctly. I think that if I go the Stimer rout I can get a good sound. Again this is subjective to the player. One mans golden sound is another mans headache. I agree with you about trying to mic in conjunction with a magnetic pick up. No reason. I think the sound you get from one or the other does not mix well with each other. I say just learn to set up your equipment and work all the angles before you play live. I think the placement and amp have so much to do with a good sound as well as strings. Just for kicks I put some Galli gypsy strings on my archtop to see what that would sound like. BAD. the B and E were supper loud and the others were just mush. But it was fun to try. I don't know that much about how a Stimer is built other then what I know about most magnetic pickup construction. It seems to me that one would have to have a guitar set up with the correct strings that was some what be devoted to the Stimer. Is that the case?

Cheers
  • djadamdjadam Boulder, CONew
    Back on the topic of string gauge...

The light top with extra light bottom strings sounds like a great idea... could Savarez be convinced to make such a pack? Does anyone else make one already? Surely many people would buy it.

I've been playing 11s, because the 10 on top top is way too thin for me. But the extra lights with 11s and 15s is something I'll try.
  • zavzav Geneve, SwissNew
    Well, the best thing - is to have packs (for example, of 10 stings) of all single strings, so everybody could be able to order all gauges in all combinations and in all independent quantities. :wink: As far as I know, in France they do sell all Savarez's singles....
  • Charles MeadowsCharles Meadows WV✭✭✭ ALD Original, Dupont MD50
    Hey Ted, great advice! I was considering getting a dupont bridge for my ALD to raise the action. I had sanded it down to lower it but I think I overdid it. What size would you recommend?
  • StevearenoSteveareno ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015 Posts: 349
    Interesting old thread dug up. I agree about the higher action, but am confused about recommending 10's? I assumed the bigger the gauge, the beefier the tone so have always used Argie 11's loop ends. In Robin Nolan's YT video he recommends Argie 11's. Didn't realize 11's didn't come out until the 90's and that Django and his contemprories used 10's. I thought most players used 11's, which feel kind of light compared to the strings I use on my flat-top. Got a few sets of 11's, but eventually gonna experiment with gauges and brands. Maybe Galli silk & steel, or GHS?
    Swang on,
  • sadowsadow ✭✭ Altamira M30 Antique
    So glad this thread popped back up. This is vital information. I've also been using Argentine 11s due to Robin's YT advice. Like the sound but find the lower strings a bit of work to shake (my action is fairly high). The hybrid set Michael recommends makes total sense. A suppler bass, plus you retain the punch of the 11 and 15. This should be on page one of the manual.