DjangoBooks.com

Christian Escoude

tomcunntomcunn ✭✭✭
in History Posts: 124

a long and interesting interview for the historically minded. i did not know about this guy but he is interesting and his story is interesting.

this is about a year old, and i had not seen it, so if someone has already posted this, my apologies.

DoubleWhiskybillyshakesdjazzyrudolfochristBuco

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Saw him play at Samois with Sylvain Luc and Philippe Catherine. Great to see the professional production here and being interviewed by another great player who really understands the history of this music like Christophe Astolfi. Can't wait to see watch the whole thing. Thanks for posting.

Jangle_Jamie
  • scotscot Virtuoso

He's the quintessential professional Parisian guitarist. His many recordings are always sophisticated with the best sidemen and really unique arrangements of unusual tunes. "Holidays" is one of my all-time favorites - guitar trio playing tunes like Holiday for Strings and Cavatina. "Paris Ma Muse" is also great - I love recordings of songs I associate with Paris. All his recordings are worth a listen. Not exactly "gypsy jazz" per the usual definition - it's what Francis Moerman always called "jazz gitano-parisian".

billyshakesJangle_Jamie
  • stuologystuology New

He did a brilliant album called Gitane with Charlie Haden on bass, just guitar and bass all the way through and mostly Django tunes. It’s worth seeking out.

Jangle_Jamiesteffo
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Totally agree with all the comments. Billyshakes, what year was that at Samois? Scot, you've picked out my two favourites!

I think it was somewhere around 2004 or 2005 in Samois. I'd have to see if I could dig out the program.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

I was there in 2004, and I remember Larry Coryell, Stochelo, Philipe Catherine and Sylvain Luc playing together on the first night - amazing!!! They were all showstoppers, but Larry Coryell's false harmonics playing was incredible and beautiful - I've never heard anything like it. Maybe Christian Escoude played during that festival but I can't remember. Yes, dig out the programmes if you have them!

billyshakes

I remember Larry Coryell too. So maybe your memory is better than mine. Maybe Escoude played in 2005? We need Peter Hooncoop's videos to help us remember who played when!

Jangle_Jamie