DjangoBooks.com

Guitar video lessons with Buco

in Welcome Posts: 4,730

Hey all,

I decided to start offering video lessons: Skype, Zoom, WhatsApp etc... Below is the introduction about that and my approach to teaching and studying.

I've been teaching privately in my area for a couple of years now and have gotten good feedback. In-person teaching is really my preferred way because I can hear and notice things in someone's playing that can be missed over a video call. That's one of my strengths, I believe, being able to see and hear things in someone's playing that might need addressing. But not as "this is how it should be done", rather "it might sound better if it's done this way". With video calls there are benefits of course, no travel time, being able to connect with people globally, the student is in their own comfortable space etc...

I don't offer a method or a system. My practice philosophy is laid out in my "two minute practice" article and that's my method. I don't see It changing but it's still evolving. I don't have a pre-planned curriculum. You could say it's a collaborative curriculum. My approach to getting better can be summed up as "fix what doesn't work". Of course, this is for a person who is past a beginner stage, when basic guitar playing skills are already there and there is plenty of stuff that needs fixing.

Many of you are familiar with my playing. I know that my playing isn't at the expert level. But that's exactly what separates my ability to teach from many of the expert players. It's that I am very much a student, working towards reaching that higher level, deep into my adulthood. My playing and especially soloing and improvising have gotten better later in life, so I have a clear understanding of the path how I got there. I'm thinking about and refining ways to get better every single day. My mind is constantly engaged in thinking about practicing and improving. I also love sharing the experiences from my journey. Which, as everyone on this forum knows, I've done plenty of over the years.

I believe I can offer practical advice about solving common problems when it comes to this genre and improvised music.

I compliment and critique what I hear, often right next to each other. I see my role as a guide as much as a teacher. Actually, I believe you really don't need a teacher, I've said this on the forum before. Especially in this day and age with so much material to practice offered and available for free. Nothing replaces the time you put in. By far and large that will be the number one reason your playing has progressed and you've gotten better. But I do think having a teacher has its many advantages too. This person can offer answers when you have questions, or help you find an answer. Maybe more than anything they will hold you accountable, which is one of the top reasons people don't reach their goals. They can point to things that may need to be addressed, remove doubts when you have them and everybody does at some point...

Who I might be able to help? Beginner, experienced player who is just getting into the genre, intermediate player who needs a hand to move up to jamming and gigging.

Feel free to get in touch without committing to anything, if you want to get a sense if this could be a good match or you're just curious or even a free trial lesson, it's all fine. PM or my email (it's listed under my profile for the forum members) works to get in touch.

Thanks!

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
WillieBonesbillyshakesMikeKBillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhisky

Comments

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Buco, I wish you the best of luck with your video teaching. While I haven't officially taken a lesson from you, I have benefitted greatly from your knowledge of and advice about gypsy jazz for 6+ years as a member of this forum. PM me if you want an endorsement to add to your website, etc. Through our work together on the Djangobooks J'Attendrai session, your advice to me on my rhythm technique, your helpful guidance to me on tone, technique & gear, etc, I feel qualified to give you a ringing endorsement to share with prospective students.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it man. There's no website at the moment. I'd like to start building this through the community first and go from there. My business back in Chicago was all word of mouth references and that takes longer to build but in the end it's the best. We'll see what happens, I haven't been swamped with requests so far but it's still early. My ego isn't very delicate so either way it won't change what I contribute here.

Jeez, has it been six years since you joined?!

6 years this Summer! Time flies when you're having fun, right? Especially when you're an old-timer with young kid(s), like you & me. I wish you great success with your video teaching. You have it all--a monster player who knows how to listen & how to explain things.

Ha, I don't know about monster but I'm making progress. The second half of what you said, I agree with that. Usually I'd just politely thank you but in this case I'll step up and say yes, I know how to listen and explain stuff. Thanks for that.

Wow I would've never thought it's been that long since you were around here.

I've come a long way in 6 years, and you & this forum have been a large part of it. Out of curiosity, I dug into the archives & found my first post from back in 2017. I was just learning how to play GJ & needed help soloing over Douce Ambiance. The members here were very generous with their knowledge. I'm grateful to be part of the forum family!

BucoWilliebillyshakes

Yeah, my math isn't so bad and if you had told me you joined in '17 I would have said "yeah that sounds about right" but when you say "6 years ago" then it's like "wait, what..."

I'll put lessons I upload here to keep this thing afloat, hope that's OK... Martin Limberger's rhumba waltz

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsDragonPLadrian
  • WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New

Thanks Buco, yet again!

Buco
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

Great lesson! Honestly I liked your rhythm playing better than the original Martin video :) To me sounds a bit tighter.

Buco
  • edited May 2023 Posts: 4,730

Ha, thanks! His right hand is so incredibly loose and mine definitely isn't as much. Maybe that gives the impression of something along those lines.