DjangoBooks.com

Jan. Song Of The Month--Dinette

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
in History Posts: 383

Happy 2023. This month's tune is one I call a lot, it's liked a spiced up version of Dinah. In fact, it's credited in DFB as being written by Django, "based on Dinah". It also has the relatively unique distinction of being in A flat. While I love that, sometimes that will make a tired bass player cringe. Django first recorded it in December of 1940 but my favorite version is from the Rome Sessions in 1950. The listener gets treated to the fine clarinet work of Andre Ekyan, as well as Django's superb electric tone. Here's a link to that version:

Note that Django references the head to Dinah when he begins his solo. I'll post the chart that my trio uses later. I'll also dig out a very hip version of it by Babik (on archtop) with Eugene Vees & Vivian Villerstein on violin from 1960 and post it later as well.

WillieMichaelHorowitzBillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhiskyBucofeynman

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,457

My favorite is the 1947 version. Great solo! What Django did on the B section is so metal. Also his comping over the clarinet solo is really interesting

Also honorable mention to Adrien, who quotes this same solo, but mixes it up with his own mannerisms to a nice effect

BucoWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsMikeK

He created the A section melody just by messing around with the chords intervals seems like. Such fun tune.

MikeK
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Here's the chart my band uses--it's all pretty straightforward, yet spiced up a bit by the E7 in bars 4, 12 & 28.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited January 2023 Posts: 1,457

Try these voicing for the F- line cliche in the bridge, it's really nice..

F-  E°  F-7  F-6
    ---------------------
    ----9---8---6---6----
    ---10---6---5---5----
    ---10---8---6---6----
    ----8---7---6---5----
    ---------------------

MikeKbillyshakesdjazzyBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
  • tbleentbleen Astoria QueensNew Gaffiero

I've seen Rino play this on the bridge, while doing fills with heavy tremolo. I'm not sure on the name of the aug chords, but it has that cliche minor descending bass line while the top notes builds an ascending line and then drops at the end. Very cool!

F- C-Aug? Fmi9 Eaug?

---1-----2------3------0-------
    ---1-----1------1------1-------
    ---1-----1------1------1------
    ---3-----2------1------0------
    ------------------------------
    -----------------------------

BucoMikeKbillyshakesdjazzyrudolfochrist
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

As promised, here's a link to Babik's version of it. Enjoy:

https://youtu.be/QDvHluY1zLI

• BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Denis, bless him, has just posted a discussion and transcription of Django's solo.

Buco