DjangoBooks.com

Sergio Repiso spanish luthier that build guitars based on selmer

djangologistdjangologist ArgentinaNew Repiso - Dupont
edited December 2022 in International Posts: 10

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share information regarding Sergio Repiso, a Spanish (from Mallorca) luthier, that lived in Buenos Aires Argentina, from mid 50s to late 70s. Jorge Lagos (an Argentinean Jazz Guitar player), visited Eugene Vées (one of Django Reinhardt guitarist) and brought a selmer guitar to Sergio Repiso in Buenos Aires. Repiso started developing selmer style guitars.

Attached are a couple, and you can follow our Sergio Repiso facebook group if you are interested in the subject.

All the best

José

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsAndyW

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Cool. Thanks for sharing. Any connection with Oscar Aleman? One would think Oscar would have met or had a connection to a Selmer-style luthier in his home country.

• djangologistdjangologist ArgentinaNew Repiso - Dupont

Hi! Yes, Oscar Aleman had a SELMER 1938, serial number #475. He visited Sergio Repiso for reparing his selmer and for installing a DeArmond pickup. You can see Oscar´s Selmer here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/6074010575965174/permalink/6138722949493936/

Thanks billy!

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Thanks for the quick reply and the picture.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your World Cup win. My friend in Buenos Aires said the scene was joyous and crazy!

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I think I saw a Repiso guitar a few years ago in northern California. I was teaching at a music store when a woman walked in with an old guitar case. She was from South America. She said she had this guitar which had sat under her bed for many years, and she wanted new strings put on it. She opened the case, and it was a D hole nylon string guitar, with beautiful binding and purfling. I was pretty astounded! I don't remember if there was a label or not, but it was from South America and it was old.

djangologistbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

Awesome! Actually, we are working on a datanbase of Sergio Repiso Guitars. if it happens to see another, let me know ! 😀

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

If you haven’t tried a bone saddle atop the bridge in a GJ guitar (as shown in OP pic#3), I highly recommend trying one. My current axe has one and I quite like it. Strings sunk into worn rosewood bridge slots isn’t a tone-enhancer.

• scotscot Virtuoso

I especially like these recordings featuring Eduardo Ravera on his lefty Repiso. His agreeable guitar playing was melodic and modest. I know the style isn't for everyone but it was a different time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHBLVPT7dAY

Williebillyshakes

Yes! Eduardo Ravera was a great swing jazz guitar player. He played 25 years with violinist Hernan Oliva (compared to Stephane Grappelli!), and also with Oscar Aleman. His repertoire was on jazz standards and he based his style in Django`s playing. He was lefty and his guitar is on sale by his daughter today.

Some pictures of Eduardo Ravera and this guitar are available here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=oa.918213342480768&type=3

TonyReesBillDaCostaWilliams