Read the full story here

rudolfochrist

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

This one just give me chills!

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

How many of these were built?

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I wonder how it sounded brand new (and how much it weighed then).

i don’t think anyone really knows…this is the only one that anyone has seen in decades. Of course, there's the one Django used in the J'Attendrei video (who knows what became of that one) and the Francois Charles book has a few photos of others. They're all in the serial # range from 340-500, with a few going up to around 550. But prewar Selmers of any kind are exceedingly rare, so they're probably are only a few surviving examples of these transitional models.

Do you think the fingerboard is original? I guess the J'attendrai video guitar was built around a similar time, but it had a different fingerboard with weird extension thing.

The one in the J'Attendrei video was a 14 fretter, so a bit different than this one. There are all sorts of variations from this period as they were experimenting and/or using up old parts. There's no sign this one ever had a fingerboard extension.

• scotscot Virtuoso

I played a guitar like this (12 fret oval) in Knoxville Tn about 20 years ago. The guitar had an interesting history, was light as a feather and sounded amazing. I wonder if this is the same one?

• pdgpdg ✭✭

What makes the guitar in the J'Attendrai video a "transitional" guitar, if it's a 14-fret guitar? The scale length?

Yeah it's a 640 scale iirc

billyshakes