DjangoBooks.com

"Give Me Liberty or Give Me Love" Alex Pangman with Jeff Healey

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited September 2022 in Eddie Lang Club Posts: 1,854

They played this 2001 cut on the jazz station this morning and it brought back happy memories

This is my old buddy and fellow Lang & Louis & Bix & Bing fan Jeff Healey accompanying the wonderful Alex Pangman's vocal

If you love Eddie Lang even a little, I predict that you will really enjoy this...

And if you only know Jeff Healey as a rock guitar wizard, then you are in for a big surprise!

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
WillieBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Released 2 days before 9/11. Nice cut. Knowing your 3 amigos, I can see why you like it, Will. He was a great talent. And to think he played with his fretting hand "backwards." I did only know him for his blues/rock music, but that alone would cement him as a talent worth knowing. This is just icing on the cake. Thanks for sharing!

Jazz FM?

• scotscot Virtuoso

Are you sure that that isn't Jesse Barksdale playing that? He was in Jeff Healey's band back then and it sounds just like other things he recorded with Alex Pangman over the years. And he's about the best Eddie Lang style player around these days.

It did sound to me like the player who is usually accompanying her.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,854

Possibly Jesse yes but Alex’s website does credit Jeff Healey.

I had a guitar lesson from Jesse probably circa 2008. Great player.

BTW, I didn’t know that he was into Eddie Lang, thanks for telling me that!

So how do you know Jesse, Scot? Are you originally from Toronto?

Will

PS Bingo, Mark!

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Jazz FM?

Terrific listener-supported jazz station.

Can be heard live on this side of the Atlantic via internet radio or web

streaming.

They also have some special artist channels and podcasts.