DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthday

anthonymurrayco

June Song Of The Month--Exactly Like You

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent, Epiphone Joe Pass
in History Posts: 251

This month's tune is often called among the "family" of gypsy jazz players in my area, and I always enjoy playing it. My trio plays it in C. It was written by Jimmy McHugh (music) & Dorothy Fields (lyrics) & published in 1930. That's the same writing team that brought us On The Sunny Side Of The Street & I Cant Give You Anything But Love. Pretty remarkable output. It's been recorded over 250 times, and some of the more notable recordings include those by Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Frank Sinatra, and my favorite vocal version from Nat King Cole. My favorite version from Django was recorded by the Quintette in Paris in April, 1937. It's swinging & hard-driving with that infectious melody. Here's a link to it--

I'll post the chart we use later.

WillieMichaelHorowitzbillyshakesBucoBill Da Costa Williamsmac63000rudolfochrist

Comments