DjangoBooks.com

Douce Ambiance cover (but not "yet another")

in Recording Posts: 4,730

A friend, Steve, spearheaded this project. I contributed with one of the accompanying guitars and a played little solo at the very end. I really think he did an amazing cover of this Django classic, very unique and well done. Steve is a standout jazz guitar player, worth a listen;

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
WilliedjazzyBonesSwedeinLA

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

@Buco ... and besides you, there were C.W. Stoneking, Ry Cooder and the Ghostriders in the Sky contributing? In fact very unique and well done! Fun to hear a gypsy jazz classic transmitted into another style, you mostly hear it the other way round.

And you carefully avoided too much latin feel:

djazzyrudolfochristBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Great job guys!

Also - but @Willie I dunno, I kind love it as a latin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgQRrLgbUy0. . .

WillieBucowim
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

@bbwood_98 Fine version - but no bossa.

To be serious: I think the song can work as a Bossa Nova, I just love the joke.

bbwood_98

@Willie might as well introduce the rest of the band. Besides the two of us it was Tam on violin, also Ben on violin and Midi joined on bass after quitting Justin Bieber.

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillie
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

Very nice!

Buco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

My wife came into the room and commented immediately - "that's from Cape Verde".

And indeed it does have the flavour of a morna, especially when the violin plays.

BucoWillie

Thanks @Willie @bbwood_98 @Rip

That's really neat @Bill Da Costa Williams thank you. I'll let Steve know. Don't know if he was shooting for any particular style, it's nice how these things work out sometimes.

• sraftsraft New

Hello all - thanks much for listening and commenting!

must also thank the creativity of my virtual band-mates.

interesting that @Bill Da Costa Williams mentions Cape Verde morna. I’d been listening to a lot of Cuban music - similar intersection of Euro and African cultures on other side of the pond - and yes, the slide guitar is surly a nod to Ry Cooder.

i’ve also put the Gypsy standard Si Tu Savais to a Cuban-style arrangement. This and other stuff can be found at:

please drop by any time!

look forward to further interactions on the Djangobooks board…

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsWillie

Welcome, Steve!

• sraftsraft New

Thanks for the introduction, Buco.

you are a benevolent deity!

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams