DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Related Discussions

Who's Online (0)

Today's Birthday

bullethead

Truss rod wrench for O-Hole GJ?

GouchGouch New
edited May 11 in Welcome Posts: 64

Greetings all (especially Luthiers)

I need to do some setup tweaks on an unbranded O-hole. The truss rod requires a 4mm allen ball-head wrench, and is adjustable through the oval soundhole. Distance from the northern top of the O-hole to the truss rod nut is 6”. No possible way can I get my gorilla-hand inside the soundhole, so I need something like an 8” 4mm angled wrench, or (possibly better) a 7 1/2” - 8” allen key that affixes to a fine-toothed ratchet.

Any tips for buying such a thing? Thanks in advance!

(I’m surely not the first person to need to do this, but it’s also not a hardware store item, and StewMac doesn’t have anything that meets my dimensional needs)

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso

You can buy a variety of 1/4" drive hex key sockets in various lengths in metric or SAE from Snap-on or Matco, for $25-30 for each socket. These are excellent and durable mechanics tools, and great for engine or suspension work, but unnecessary for low-torque use. Buy a Cobalt 1/4" 4mm socket, a 4mm hex wrench, cut the short angle off with your cutoff wheel, figure the length you need (may require a 1"-3" extension to reach the bolt), lightly chamfer the business end (I don't like ball-ends) and epoxy the wrench into the socket. Over the years I've made many of these wrenches in various lengths and sizes for specific purposes when a store-bought one just wouldn't fit the needs of a job.

Buco

I see Stew Mac has 4mm truss rod wrench in 12" length. Is that too long?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • GouchGouch New
    edited May 13 Posts: 64

Solved:

This worked perfectly, got it on Amazon. From the ball tip to the T handle is just over 8”, and the T of the handle is fairly small and lands close to the center of the O-hole.

Bondhus 75160 4mm ProHold Tip Ball End T-Handle w/ProGuard Finish, 220mm

BucovanmalmsteenBill Da Costa WilliamsBones