DjangoBooks.com

Singing solos to backing tracks

2»

Comments

@Rip ok thanks, one note at a time it is, I'll take it just like that. Even better, when I have a tune playing in my head (anywhere else I'd just sound weird but I feel it's ok around here) the timing and phrasing variations are way better than what I play. That's why I wanted to dedicate chunk of my practice on just that stuff.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

Make some recordings, I want to hear your ideas! If you send me a phrase, I’ll send you a response. Musically conversation over the internet.

Bucobbwood_98

Like singing it or on the guitar? This might be an example of "dare to suck" method I just mentioned in the other thread.

bbwood_98

One the guitar. maybe even over a backing track. You take 4 bars, then I'll take 4 bars.

bbwood_98
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

@Twang

I ultimately think it's a great idea. I personally find using step-wise motion to connect triads that outline the changes is the most musical thing you can do outside of playing a melody.

I also remember reading somewhere that "practicing" your instrument without your instrument is still practice to your brain - so maybe a great way to get in some extra shedding during a commute or such!

The only other thing I'd add is singing the melody straight, and then play around with it. Help you find your true voice outside of muscle memory!

Twangbbwood_98
  • TwangTwang New

Thanks for everyone’s input. I waste a lot of time in the car so the “extra shredding during a commute” is the bit that really appeals.

Remember you spend, on average, three years of your life on the toilet so that’s even more time that needs to be put to good use!

• edited May 2022 Posts: 4,735

Ear training is certainly extremely beneficial to your improvising. If you can find every degree of every key center or at least the main chord tones, you're that much closer to total mastery of your instrument.

@Rip not sure where will this lead us but yes sure, let's do it. May open some new paths. which song?

I'm also finding the more I'm becoming comfortable with navigating the fretboard in my own way, the more those kind of lines are a part of my inner voice. I think it should be the other way around but oh well.

bbwood_98

how about embraceable you?

bbwood_98Buco

Sent you PM...