DjangoBooks.com

Pickup fit in AltaMira D01 12 fret

Salut a tous!

I'm coming back to manouche after a long time away and ordered an AltaMira D01 12 fret. Despite the obvious differences in make and model, I'd like to get close to Django's amplified Seller sound as it sounds on record - after all that's how we experience it however different from extrapolating how it sounded live. I'm comparing sound hole mounted magnetic pups and of what's available and in my budget I'm choosing between

* DuPont ST48 Stimer reissue

* Peche a la Mouche

* DeArmond Rhythm Chief Gypsy

I'm told there are fit issues with the break angle/string clearance, fingerboard extension into the sound hole area, and bracing around the sound hole.

Have any of you tried any of these and which is least problematic to mount with minimal harm to the guitar?

I suppose desired tone has to take a back seat to fit, doesn't it. Keeping my question based on the pickup choice, I will say I have a pre-war EH150 and a couple of solid state amps with some pedal trickery that I think will get me darn close on that end of things. Appreciate hearing from anyone who's been there, done...

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited April 2022 Posts: 1,308

Welcome! There are a bunch of discussions in the archive that deal with some of these combinations. In fact, I seem to remember a video comparing all of the different pickups from the Stimer, Peche, Krivo, etc. The search bar for the archive is to the right and below the "Today's birthdays" section so you might have to scroll down a bit. Sometimes it deals with fit, sometimes with placement. Plenty of gear discussion to dig through.

Edit: Here are a few of those vids. Enjoy. :-)

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • 1cutaway1cutaway New

billyshakes Yeah those videos are partly how I narrowed down the choice. HyunBin's is especially well done! Fit in this spec model being the overriding issue, I'm just seeing if I can cut to the chase before sitting through the archives, but will do if no one chimes in, thanks!

• 1cutaway1cutaway New

Well, the StinStimer D's ers are all gone per Michael. Sounds like the DeArmond Gypsy might be best no brainer, safest on & off to preserve the guitar and get good break up driving my tube amp - hope it would do the same on a solid state w a touch of boost/drive pedal. There's the romance of that Peche though...

• 1cutaway1cutaway New

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

I'd go either Peche or DeArmond. I personally use a DeArmond guitar mike on my D-hole (guitar).

I've borrowed a Peche a la Mouche a couple of times and it worked well, although I wasn't 100% happy with ho secure it felt - the caveat here is that the owner uses it on an oval hole so that surely impacted my experience.

• 1cutaway1cutaway New

juanderer not sure how to reply direct to comments, but thanks. Definitely one of those two. You said DeArmond Guitar 'mic' which is what HyunBin uses in his YT shootout and I love it but looks really small to fit the D hole and what Michael carries is a Rhythm Chief 'Gypsy' which I suppose is sans 'monkey stick'. Can you confirm if yours is what he shows or the vintage style 'mic' with actual mic slots under the top strings? Someone said the DeArm gets a little edge with tube breakup which I want as on recordings - I suppose the peche would breakup on a driven tube amp too - but they thought the DeArm wasn't as effective in an acoustic-biased amp like AER. Hope I can simulate that with a boost pedal like the ep or my jj150 into my Henriksen. Thanks for help straight from the source - the thrill of the hunt is starting to wear thin :-)

Above is a few recent thread on the subject. It seems there's never a straight answer when it comes to magnetic pickup and D hole guitar, always some monkeying around and a compromise.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • 1cutaway1cutaway New

Buco Thanks for that leg work. I did start looking at old posts and yeah, issue after issue. If it's not low string clearance on the AM, it's the fboard extension - and I'm not throwing a bris for my O1D! My job is mainly rhythm - that's why I went with a D (actually scaled down from a gorgeous DuPont going up on sale here soon to get it since $ is tighter these days). Some folks suggested the Krivo but I'm not crazy about the name across the face (personal, I know) and I'm not sure it gets the vintage Django amplified sound - a LOT to ask from an overbuilt 12 fret join D-hole again, I know... Oh well, once I find which fits, maybe I'll get two and do a shootout at home. Or just use the Bigtone on it with a boost pedal for the eventual solo. Thanks again!

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited April 2022 Posts: 705

@1cutaway Give Jason Krivo a call. I would guess he would make a pickup without a logo for you. He is a very nice guy. https://www.krivopickups.com/about.html

I just noticed the Krivo Mini-Humbucker is now available. It appears not to have a logo. https://www.krivopickups.com/store/p7/The_Krivo_Mini-Humbucker_for_All_Guitars..html

• juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

that's exactly what I use on my D. A Guitar Mike from the 50's/early 60s with the two slots for the top strings, monkey stick, etc. I just got a new amp so I might be able to whip up a recording for you later tonight. of course, your mileage might vary.