DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Summit, Mogeli Geisler; gem of an album

As @Willie pointed to it.

Everything we love about this genre of Gypsy Jazz is there. Wall of rhythm guitars with those growling stabs that we know and love, hard driving bass, virtuosic improvisations with flare and fire and love of music, sublime guitar tone. Production work and mix is pretty much perfect, world class quality. Not the usual song picks although there's plenty of familiar stuff. Original tunes as well, Mogeli is really good composer. His tunes and overall feel of the album has that modern touch that's hard to put your finger on but it's certainly refreshing.

Do yourself a favor and check it out. I'll be listening to this for a long time.

YT playlist

Spotify link

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
TwangWilliewimNoto

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Is that a photo of his kid, Justin Geisler, on the cover? Been a few years but it looks like it could be - I remember seeing this guy for the first time at samoreau camp several years ago and his playing blew me away

Buco
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Probably not, different noses:

Probably more so:

But who really knows noses?

Another Geisler teaser, can't find hints if the album was released:

DjangheureuxBucoNotoBillDaCostaWilliams

I kinda doubt he'd put a picture of random kid on the album cover. Unless he was doing something like Nirvana.

Somebody asked on the YT page when is the album coming but no reply yet.

NotoWillie
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Bucco;

Spot on - this record is so great! and Both Mogeli and Justin are amazing musicians and nice people. I do wonder if that is a picture of him or . . . . Just asked about the picture and when Justins' record comes out. It's been a favorite since it arrived.

I am also looking forward to Gismo Graf's new disc.

B

BucoWillierudolfochrist
  • bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

And . . .

So That picture is Mogeli's youngest son "Mambel, He looks so close to me when i was a kid" Justin's Cd should be out in spring summer, and like a lot of these releases, we across the pond may have to wait a few weeks to get it!

Cheers,

Ben

WilliebillyshakeswimBucoBillDaCostaWilliams

Yeah, it was you who mentioned them a few years back, Ben.

Wawau left a comment for Justin on YT page for this promo video. Something like "our Justin is going to go far" So nice to see that community support.

Williebbwood_98
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

Buco wrote <"hard driving bass">

is it just me and my cheap headphones that thinks the bass is very low in the mix ?? [ love the guitar sounds & accordion ]

Buco
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2022 Posts: 871

Hey Andy, It ain't you, there are a number of problems with the mix though that one possibly being the most egregious. The accordion often takes over a track making other instruments difficult to hear. Guitar is better but still has issues. There are other problems but I don't want to focus on the negative too much as there is some nice playing too.

WillieBucoAndyW
  • edited March 2022 Posts: 4,735

@AndyW it is fairly low in the mix. Consistently throughout the album. Probably by choice. I think some engineers believe more forward bass leads to a muddy mix. I like bass forward mix. But I don't have trouble hearing the bass, it's right there.

What I was really excited about was his driving playing. At several spots on the album he plucks the note so hard that the string bounces off the fretboard like a kid on the trampoline.

WillieAndyW
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I did not even know there was a bass on it!

But, I like it, maybe DESPITE its strange recording quality; sometimes this music can be too slick and that sound of a band playing in the cafe next door heard through an open window could be said to be more appropriate.

DigbyBucoAndyW