DjangoBooks.com

moustache

Hello all.

I just bought a used Gitane 255 and I'm stoked on how it plays but, the guy I bought it off removed the moustache pieces cause he didn't like the look. I do like the look and know I could buy some online but I have some time and access to a university workshop so am keen to fashion my own as a personal touch to the guitar. How are the moustache ends traditionally made? any links to a video that has them made by hand (i do have access to a cnc but would rather hand craft them)

thanks!

tnhughes

Comments

You could buy some from eBay and copy them.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I know a couple of guys whose guitars came with moustaches but had to remove them because their guitar needed a new bridge to correct an intonation problem, and the old moustaches no longer lined up with the new bridge.

So my advice would be to make real sure that your bridge’s intonation is absolutely perfect before adding those moustaches…

Anyway, good luck!

Will

vanmalmsteen
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I think I've heard that some builders just use double-sided tape to hold them on? So it could be that they aren't super difficult to remove? Or, you might choose to do that to yours if you are worried about correct placement, etc. Just a thought.

• BonesBones Moderator

Yeah double stick tape works.