DjangoBooks.com

Question regarding picking, video inside.

SwedeinLASwedeinLA New
in Technique Posts: 42

As some of you might know I am brand new to the GJ world and I am practicing my picking technique.

The first 2 examples I am doing (down on every string) but I am picking every note. The last 2 examples I am also picking every note, but more in a sweeping manner.

I'm not sure If I even explain myself correctly (English is not my first language). But if you watch my right hand you might see what I am talking about. Picking every note vs picking every note but coming from a "rest".

Or is this only a difference how you approach it, depending how fast the line is?

I am slowly getting obsessed with this whole thing:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9NLejFEqLM

Comments

It'd be easier to watch you play a transcribed phrase or a typical lick (bunch of videos on YT with that) you learned. Listening to something in a musical context would be better. I think it's fine and sounds good. Your wrist is flat and in this style it's usually arched some. Although there are top players in the style with flat or nearly flat wrist, majority of the best players arch the wrist in varying degrees, whatever feels comfortable. This helps driving the strings towards the top which gives the tone that pop.

SwedeinLA
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • SwedeinLASwedeinLA New

Thanks for the reply buco. I was just curious if one way or the other (out of the 2) was considered the correct way. I have been trying to get in to the arched wrist as I do notice myself it projects the tone a lot better. I appreciate the reply

Buco
  • wdickersonwdickerson Austin, TXNew Holo #73

Hey, nice work! It looks like you are making great progress.

It's a bit hard to tell, but it seems that you may not quite be doing a rest stroke. In a rest stroke, the pick needs to actually rest on the next string after you pick a note. Example: when you play a note on the low E string, the pick should be resting on the A string when you're done. Check out this video of Tchavolo Schmitt to see what I mean. Look at the inset of his right hand. It may help to watch at 0.25 speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9F_NylMnY0

• pdgpdg ✭✭

Not only rest on the next string, but don't slow down after you pick the intended string; let the force go into the next string, which will stop the movement and even help your hand rebound (like a trampoline).

juanderer

There isn't correct or incorrect. The second half does flow better, it's just a slight tone difference. Top players in the genre change their wrist position into much more flat hand when they play archtop vs Selmer style. It's could be just more ergonomic to play with a flatter hand on archtops, sort of how the instrument lends itself. But I'm not sure, I don't own any.

If you get neck deep into this you'll probably find your favorite player, or a few, and you'll probably think "ok, how do I sound like that". At that time you might have a Selmer style guitar and from that position you'll start developing your tone. Truly copying anyone is actually extremely difficult so I wouldn't worry about sounding like this or that. It's just a carrot to chase.

SwedeinLA
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

I think the flat wrist thing on electrics is a combination of damping any feedback with the palm of the hand back by the bridge if necessary and sometimes not using strict GJ rest stroke picking (like upstrokes on string changes or upwards sweeps).

Yeah the wrist thing and also doesn't look like a rest stroke. Looks like you are picking AT the string on downstrokes and not THRU the string. You can get away with that on an electric but on an acoustic your tone and volume will not be good if you do it that way. I'd say find arp patterns or licks to practice up and down SLOWLY until the rest stroke feels automatic.

• filippodallastafilippodallasta Berlin, GermanyNew

@SwedeinLA I am running a free online workshop in March to teach guitarists exactly this, the right hand technique and picking for Gypsy jazz guitar.

Take a look and feel free to join us: https://gypsyjazzguitarmaster.com/event-signup-right-hand-technique/

Best,

Filippo Dall'Asta