DjangoBooks.com

Ding repair

wdickersonwdickerson Austin, TXNew Holo #73

Hey friends,

I have a question for the luthiers out there. I recently noticed a small ding along the edge of my guitar. I am wondering if it is possible to repair something like this by sanding the area with steal wool and then applying a coat of clear nail polish. Jokes aside, should I take it to a luthier in town or should I just live with the blemish?

Thanks!

Will

Comments

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Its up to you but Murphy's Law says as soon as you pay out to get it fixed another one will appear. Some folks pay big bucks for the added 'relic' look so maybe you are adding value anyway?

wdickerson
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Sorry to see the damage on your guitar. Could it be caused by sweat running down your arm and hand during those hot Texas gigs? I would at least get an estimate for a repair. It can't be too much. I'm not sure if I would try steel wool, as it would be hard to focus on such a small area. A sanding sponge might be a better option, and try the most fine or super fine available.

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Paint-Supplies-Sandpaper-Patching-Repair-Sanding-Sponges/Super-Fine/N-5yc1vZci1cZ1z1c6yx

wdickerson
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

First ding is always the hardest....after that, it is all good. Just ask Willie Nelson.

f

WilliewdickersonBuco
  • BonesBones Moderator

DON'T DO IT! If you have to ask you shouldn't try it unless it is just a beater and you are interested in getting into repair. If it really bugs you take it to a luthier or you will probably make it worse.

Conversely, now you don't have to worry about getting that first ding. Personally I wouldn't worry about it if you use the guitar. If it is some sort of collector thing that you keep in a case in the closet or something yeah maybe take it to a luthier if it really bugs you but if that is the case def don't do it yourself. A pro can do it like it never was there.

wdickerson
  • wdickersonwdickerson Austin, TXNew Holo #73

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think it probably got bumped on stage at some point. The steel wool thing was totally a joke. I would definitely take my Holo to a trained pro.

I guess I was concerned that the crack in the finish could allow moisture into the wood, but the more that I think about that, it doesn't really make sense. The inside of the guitar doesn't have a finish, after all.