DjangoBooks.com

"Merry Go Round of Life" ... now with extra banjo!

Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
edited February 2022 in Repertoire Posts: 1,854

About a week ago I expressed my opinion that this lovely film theme would make a nice gypsy jazz tune...

Well, I have to admit that my enthusiasm was not shared by the vast majority of the DjangoBooks commentariat.

However, I didn't let that deter me and went ahead and adapted and recorded my own guitar version, which is below.

Also below are a lead sheet and some chord grilles in case anybody wants to give it a try.

The "B" part, which I played in thirds, might also be played by two instruments in harmony...

Hope you like it,

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
BucoWillie

Comments

• edited January 2022 Posts: 4,730

This is nice, Will. I might prefer it over the original even.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Nice - B section in thirds works well.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Thanks, fellas. My wife fell in love with this tune at first hearing and insisted that I learn to play it.

OK, it's a few degrees outside the GJ genre but what the hell...

My feeling as a boomer is that pop music has sucked ever since the Beatles and/or ABBA broke up...

... but this tune is from 2004 and the composer Joe Hisaishi has such a wonderful sense of harmony. I just LOVE his chords and that is not something I hear myself saying very often...

Will

Buco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    edited January 2022 Posts: 921

Apologies for coming late to this party but I must admit I passed over the original post. Very naughty of me and I'm happy to admit that I should have looked into it a bit more as I've just discovered a beautiful piece of music. For what it's worth I think this sounds more like gypsy jazz should sound rather than some of the speed merchants we have at the moment.

Buco
    always learning

Here's what my buddy Rayburn might call a "Yoko Ono bonus track"...

BucoWillieBillDaCostaWilliams

I liked the 6 strings version a touch better. Little less tremolo maybe.

Oh well.

wim

Well I'll tell you this, so I heard your guitar version again yesterday, right...then late last night this melody pops up in my head and I started humming it, really nice melody. But I didn't even know what is it at first. I was asking myself, what is this thing and then I remembered. Why am I saying this... the original piano orchestrated version with violins and all that is great, all top of the world class stuff. But for some reason, your simple guitar version conveyed the melody much better for me. The original kinda went over my head. No idea why is that...oh well.

edited February 2022 Posts: 1,854

Thanks, Buco.

It is a very pretty melody with unusually nice chords, a combination which is very rare these days.

And it has this elusive quality of sticking to your brain like bubble gum for awhile… but then an hour later when you consciously try to remember it, you suddenly find that you can’t. In the same manner as other elusive melodies I love, such as “My One and Only Love” and “In a Sentimental Mood”.

Anyway, I hereby predict that eventually some European GJ guitar god will record it and make everybody here want to learn it.

And a few years from now people will find this old thread and say, “Damn! I should have listened to good old Lango-Django!!”

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco