• edited November 2021 Posts: 1,231

Julian Lage

Bill Frisell

Monk

Honorable mentions would be Bud Powell and Barry Harris

DjangheureuxMikeKWilliebbwood_98
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    edited November 2021 Posts: 356

Just three? If I were to list only the musicians I've returned to constantly since 1958 (when my folks bought a "hi-fi"), the list would run to dozens (starting with Keely Smith, Laurindo Almeida, and Duke Ellington, whose LPs were among the record club albums the parents bought back then) before I even got to Django and George Barnes and Bucky Pizzarelli and Louis and Tony and Ella and Billie and Frank and Monk and Zoot and Ruby. . . .

BillDaCostaWilliamsMikeKWillie
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 4,738

@Wim Glenn @adrian I thought I heard Cyrille's voice among others hollering during solos?

Anyway for me, I don't get a chance to enjoy music uninterrupted like I used to. But I did listen to Julian's (Lage) last album, Squint, a lot. It's incredible. Julian's playing is hypnotic in a way nobody ever I listened to was. I enjoy Django for it's harmony richness but Julian mesmerizes me.

Maybe a few songs I cued up recently...

I'll listen to Adam Rafferty whenever he puts out a new arrangement.

I thought Antoine Boyer's cover of Exit Music for a Film was one of the most exciting pieces of music I've heard in a long time... although as I just professed I haven't heard a whole lot of music lately.

Rotem Sivan's new album has a song a liked a lot, called Like Me. Really nice groove and a hook. Seems like Rotem is purposely pushing himself into different music other than jazz. And it works.

billyshakesMikeK
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Inspired to check out numerous artists that I haven't listened to, or some I haven't listened to in a while. So many great musicians, it's good to get recommendations. As others have mentioned, Julian Lage is incredible, such a creative and versatile guitarist. Love his Mount Royal duo album with Chris Eldridge.

Thanks for allowing me to post more than 3 shelves 😎🍻👍

billyshakesMikeK
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Peter Bernstein

John Coltrane

Jim Hall

MikeKbbwood_98
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.
    edited November 2021 Posts: 959

Could not even try for just three; I have always had music around and thanks to my dad back in the '60s I was exposed to a lot of jazz and classics while at the same time growing up with The Beatles. If the greats of every genre will stand the test of time one can start with Tchaikovsky, Bach, Armstrong, Sinatra, Elvis, Beatles, Hendrix or.....?

If I just include guitar players it would be any three of: B.B.King, Amos Garrett, Charlie Christian,Hendrix and Manitas de Plata (but of course, many more).

One trick I did learn from much listening, and I seem to remember B.B.King quoted a similar thought many years ago, and that is to think like a horn player to make phrasing more human, or a vocalist, (B.B. said he used to sing his solos to himself in his head) so instead of the endless Clapton-esque 'widdly-widdly' soloing, you take a breath between phrases as a horn player would.

So, all of that is a way of explaining my three who I would recommend as both fave to listen to but also to help in my GJ guitar noodling:

Stan Getz (or Ben Webster?)

Frank Sinatra (or maybe Willie Nelson, he has similar timing)

Miles Davis from his 'Cool' period

Wow, that was harder than I expected too, just don't ask me again in an hour, it may all have changed.

billyshakesMikeKMichaelHorowitzAndyW
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

+1 for Frank Sinatra

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,855

Bix, Louis, Bing, Ethel Waters…

…the Boswell Sisters, the Ponce Sisters, the Mills Brothers,

… and my newly discovered plectrum banjo hero, Ken Harvey…

MikeKrudolfochristWillie
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."