Comments

Lol, helluva opening post.

Passacaglia
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭
    Buco
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.

There's a new one from the same jam, just later in the evening.

PassacagliaWillie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • PassacagliaPassacaglia Madison, WI✭✭✭✭

Something tells me you could do a time-lapse series over several days and nights and everyone gets up but Nous'che....and he's ready to piston away eternally. 😎

Buco
    -Paul

pas encore, j'erre toujours.
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Resurrecting this post to show how not to count in a tune 😁

geese_comrichter4208rudolfochrist
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

That sounded like a radio bumper preceding the song. Was this something where the concert was broadcast live on the radio, and they were coming out of a commercial, perhaps?

• JasonSJasonS New

Sounds like the band thought he was vamping the off beats, which is a common intro in some circles

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

@billyshakes This looks to me like one of the TSF one song shots the try to do at least one or two a day (morning and afternoon from what I can tell) in the studio - always with the bumper.

TSF often broadcasts concerts as well though . . .

@geese_com lots of great advice here. Try time guru (app) great programable metronome that you can ask to drop out for various percentages . . .

Though people talk about not using metronome, I disagree with that, It's quite a useful tool. Standard practice is very slow arpeggio's, medium speed scales and patterns, and a good 30-40 minutes of playing time/drills and then tune with metronome; usually 1 and 3, then 2 and 4, then just 1 across a range of tempos and feels.

Watching the person counting in helps - and communicating to them that you as a rhythm player are not catching their groove correctly every time, can they be clearer without loosing the 'show' aspects might be helpful as well. I've played with people who are very clear, and other's who are a lot less clear.

One thing I hate is when leaders (and this is really common in 'Django's' music) count 1, 2; 1, 2, 3, 4, and then mean twice as fast (ugh) . Just count the tempo you mean.

Some folks on this thread have mentioned starting with a breath like a classical ensemble. thats not what i would do, we are not playing classical music! I'm good with a lot of things, string hits, snaps, stomping, counting or a big fancy intro. Plus, since people are more apt to be talking and what have you and the count gives them time to adapt (lol) to whats happening.

Finally, I think that regular rehearsal/gigs can take care of so much of this- once you've got a few arrangements and things together (really together) the standard tempo of the song will start to take care of itself and you only notice when it is not in that tempo.

billyshakesgeese_comBillDaCostaWilliams
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Old thread, I'm sure you're swinging by now - but thought I'd give my 2cents:

Some advice I've gotten recently is to watch the right hand of the (assuming guitarist) that counted it off. While the "getting the tempo ready by moving your right hand early" helps you lock in originally - sometimes the band leader calls a tune to quick or too slow, and they try to push it in a direction in the first few bars.

While you can feel this "wonky-ness" like in the video above with Dorado, it can be hard to correct course after the band leader has called the tune. But what you can try to do is putting the beat on top of the person who called the tune by watching their right hand.

billyshakes