DjangoBooks.com

Video: famous musicians inspired by Django with actual audio interviews

edited July 2021 in Welcome Posts: 4,735

Just saw this on YT by an excellent Gypsy jazzer himself Cornelius Corkery. There are already a couple of threads on the subject but I couldn't dig them out now. And maybe this video deserves it's own space. It blew me away to hear it from the actual famous musicians themselves to talk about Django and how he inspired and influenced them. You'll hear a few surprises too...no spoilers.

If you could also, instead of liking here go to YT and give him thumbs up there as apparently these things can help people get more exposure. He definitely deserves it. He's put out a lot of really good GJ related videos.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
billyshakesAndyWBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesadrianWillie

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I know you said not to, but I'm going to give you a thumbs up here anyway for sharing this, Buco. This video was great. I was aware of Django's influence on most of these guys, but had never heard the stories told from their own mouths. Collecting them all here on this one video, especially seeing the range of musical styles presented, really shows just how influential he really was. Thanks for making me aware of Cornelius's channel. I'll follow his output.

AndyWBuco

Yeah he's great, awesome player and a really good video host.

I mean I never tried to make a similar research, maybe it wasn't that hard. But when it started with Willie Nelson and I was like "wait, what...", it gave a whole different experience than just hearing stories about it. Thanks dude.

billyshakes
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Thanks Buco - never came across him before. I see he's got lot's of interesting GJ tuition material and interviews on Youtube.

Buco
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited July 2021 Posts: 636

If, like me, you have been curious to know more about Alex Bishop's guitars here's a session where he plays with Cornelius Corkery and describes his instruments:

Buco

I did see that one. Surprised how good of a player Alex is too. It's not always that luthiers are such good players.

You know, not only was a clueless about David Lee Roth playing guitar but I just heard him playing some fingerstyle blues and he's pretty good too!

billyshakes

Another Django reference I was unaware of. Joscho says in the description that Dickey Betts wrote his Jessica instrumental as a tribute to Django, so neat:

billyshakesWillie
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Yeah, that's a great story on Dickey Betts. I believe he was trying to write a memorable melody that could be played with 2 fingers, and 'Jessica' is what he came up with. He usually plays most of it with his index & middle finger.

BucoWillierichter4208
  • stuologystuology New
    edited July 2021 Posts: 196

I read an interview with Nile Rogers recently and he said he started out playing gypsy jazz …

BucoWilliebillyshakes