DjangoBooks.com

Standard height for zero fret?

2»

Comments

I'll check when home but this sounds way too high. I came to like the slightly stiffer string feel with zero fret higher than usual. In my case zero fret is at 1.8 while the rest are at 1.3mm. Prior, the zero fret was at 1.5mm. But before the zero fret was shaved down to it's current height during install, even 0.1-2mm taller made the guitar too stiff to play.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • jaredjared New

On the gap:

If you are measuring 2mm between top of first fret crown and bottom of the low E string there is something very wrong. One would normally use a feeler gauge to measure that gap by trying to fit the gauge between the string and the fret crown. That gap should be something in the region of .010" (.25mm) or maybe .015" or .016" (.5mm) at the very most or else you are going to have big intonation and playability problems. This is assuming a 12th fret action of 2.5 to 3mm on the low E and 2 to 2.5 on the top E. Raising the action there will of course raise the action at the thin end of that wedge, but only a very, very tiny amount that you can't control and don't need to worry about. There is often a healthy amount of relief it he neck on these guitars and of course this will also affect that first fret crown to string measurement. If you have gauged nut files around they make useful feelers gauges

To dress or not to dress zero fret:

If the fingerboard is very level (as it should be) and my fretwork is going as planned, there is usually very little fret levelling to be done so I leave the zero fret alone and that makes for a zero fret slightly higher than the others - but the amount is tiny, like maybe .005". I find it helps mitigate against the potential for "back buzz" behind the fretted notes. If you have to level more aggressively, then you'll have to include the zero fret.

Buco

Even with the giant zero fret, there's very little room. I don't have feeler gauges but a sheet of paper fills the space. But I think you're referring to something else when you refer to 2mm. That would work for the slide guitar beautifully but be death sentence for fingers.

billyshakesjared
  • constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos

Thx everyone @Buco the photos were great. I figured it out and it seems my zero nut is slightly higher than normal but nothing worth messing with. My guitar had a hell of a winter the top dropped like 4 mm. So my guitar has gone through some changes, between a different bridge and the right trust rod setting I know I can get things feeling better. Thanks.

Buco
  • BonesBones Moderator

Did you try a case humidifier? Did the guitar dry out a lot during winter?

This winter/spring was super dry on the east coast. My guitar was never as buzzy as this past season and I constantly had to baby it. It usually has a period in spring when the wood is perfectly humidified and everything is just right but this time it never happened.

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos
    edited June 2021 Posts: 485

Hi bones, well I learned my lesson for whatever reason this particular guitar was very sensitive to humidity changes so after I discovered this I did actually run a humidifier in My guitar room and things settled down. From this point forward I will always have a humidifier going

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I looked into getting a humidifier and searched some old threads, but it seems they are all somewhat prone to getting black mold, etc. Last thing I wanted to do was spray mold spores into the air. Anyone have a setup they recommend (if it doesn't break the bank, that would be preferred). I don't keep my guitars out so just use some damp sponges in a holey baggie and keep the guitars in the case.

• BonesBones Moderator

I just use a damp rag in an open ziplock bag carefully placed in the case so no contact between the damp rag and guitar or case. toss it and make another if it gets moldy.

billyshakes