DjangoBooks.com

And the winner of the 2021 EDDIE LANG CHALLENGE is...

2»

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Well, since everyone else is dishing, I was Uncle Sal's Spectacular. Named after a Eddie's real name and a great slice of pizza from Rocky Rococo's. If you ever get to WI, seek out this small regional pizza chain. If you happen to be there on a Thursday, you'll be lucky to get the Perfect, but Monday is when you'll find Uncle Sal's Spectacular. Real, thick Wisconsin cheese...and that sausage is heaven.

Really enjoyed all the submissions from the contestants.

rudolfochristBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Well, although we didn’t get too much response from most of the DB commentariat, I personally had a hundred bucks worth of fun out of this.

And I am delighted to hear that you guys enjoyed it, too.

So, hell yeah! let’s do it again next year!

Maybe a bit of group brainstorming about how to create a better challenge would be helpful...?

Idea number one: instead of just four bars, what if the challenge were for 32 bars...?

Would that be expecting too much of contestants?

Your thoughts...?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

32 might be a bit much. Maybe just an A section.

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited May 2021 Posts: 1,854

So you are suggesting 8 bars?

Should this be the A section of a recognizable tune?

....or maybe just a chord progression using the same general kind of changes that were commonly used in the tunes back in Eddie’s day?

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

I'd say keep it simple but I'm not sure what that exactly means. Something that just came to mind could be "motif" type challenge: start with a motif that gets developed during next few bars in some logical way and finish with coming back to the same motif.

One thing that wasn't clearly defined this time: when we say each entrant can submit up to 3 entries do we then vote for specifically one of those 3 or the whole effort from that person? I thought we would vote for just one entry out of 3. Which then I realized submitting 3 actually lowers your chances. But then I think I was the only one to think like that (voting for a specific entry), others have voted for the entire effort.

Thanks for the nice words, @V-dub . Your stuff has some really neat twists and you may be the only one among us who's really into that sound and music besides Django so it was the right choice. I really do think each entry was wonderful. A few benefited from upping the tempo which I played with in the ASD (amazing slow downer) and at 150% of original tempo some really came to life. Harmonically they were great to begin with but didn't have the bounce initially. That's something I realized as soon as I heard "langin the blues" (which I immediately thought was Vic) that I should've pushed the tempo a bit more.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Yeah like the a section of rhythm changes or Dinah.

I recorded my entry before listening to what else was posted, in fear of stealing or being intimidated. So I was surprised at how slow the other entries were.