DjangoBooks.com

Welcome to our Community!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online (0)

Related Discussions

Today's Birthdays

NorthSeaJazzClub jared

Djangologie lp series

I just ordered the whole box set last night. I see them periodically in local shops. But I finally said fuck it, I'll buy the whole thing at once. It's shipping from Germany, so it might take a while.

Anyone else have the set?

Buco

Comments

• TwangTwang New

I love vinyl. Everyday, at dinner I put on an lp. Last night was a Joe Oliver record. Tonight... Who knows?

Twang
  • nicksansonenicksansone Amsterdam, The Netherlands✭✭✭✭

It's a great medium for listening, but the Djangologie series is not as complete as the Integrale series (which I havent seen on lp). Some times I really want to hear certain tracks from the same recording session, but there is certainly a lifetime of listening to do.

• Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

I don't have a whole Djangologie set--I recall it runs to 20 LPs--but I managed to pick up many of the individual records over a period of years, starting before the CD revolution. They would show up, onesy-twosy, in used-music stores, and I assembled what for me were the core recordings (1935-40s).

Then the JSP remastered sets showed up and I bought those as individual CDs and then the boxed versions, and then the Fremaux. . . .

I've been at this a while.

billyshakes

Yeah, I have the integral set. But I mainly listen to music on my hi-fi or casually on my phone(not hi-fi). I don't even have a CD player anymore. Actually, my car doesn't have one either.

Man, music mediums keep changing, but they got it right early on with records. Wax cylinders sound like shit. Huge step up in fidelity. Tape is pretty good. I had a mini disc player. Glad that didn't catch on.

Buco
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

Minidisc was a very good technology for field recording, even if Sony tended to be tightassed about DRM and proprietary audio formats and such. When I was doing interviews, a little MZ-B3 (shirt-pocket size, built-in mono mic) was a great tool--much better than a cassette recorder in every way. The MZ-B100, with stereo mics, was even better, though perhaps not as sturdy. And it was a very respectable live-music recorder.

I eventually moved on to no-moving-parts digital tech (the Olympus LS family) that has the additional virtue of recording in a range of standard formats without DRM. But I still have drawers full of MD recordings and several functional machines on which to play them.

Bill Da Costa Williams