DjangoBooks.com

strap attachment for Sel-mac?

daverepairdaverepair Vermont, USANew Craig Bumgarner 'Selmer' style

I have an Eastman DM1. While it appears to me that many, if not most players of these guitars play while sitting, I'll need to attach a strap to play gigs with my band. I'm ok with installing strap pins, and am curious how others may have attached straps.

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited May 2021 Posts: 825

My guitar has a strap pin installed by the former owner:

I didn't really appreciate this and thought of removing the pin. But when I'm trying to play with the guitar on my right lap, my left arm and hand are feeling strange. On the other hand, I feel comfortable with singing in this position:

With my right leg crossed over the left, I can play better, but this position is not that good for singing:

Same with my right foot on my left knee:

Although it doesn't really look like gipsy swing 😥, for me it feels more comfortable to play the guitar like an archtop, with a strap, the top turned slightly upwards (the strap connected to the neck-pin, not to the headstock). This position is good for both playing and singing:

I would like to manage playing with the guitar on my right lap, because I don' like the strap pin (and because I'm so eager to look like Tchavolo 😉!). But I think, it is more important to achieve a playing position that will not prevent the top and bottom of the instrument from vibrating and that feels comfortable to the player, than trying to look like anybody else when playing. So maybe I will continue playing WITH STRAP 👹!

• pdgpdg ✭✭

I saw Stephan Wremble playing standing up with a strap. You might email him about it (he's always replied to my emails).

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I've been told by a well-known repairman that putting a button into the heel of the neck is worse for the guitar than around the headstock.

For SelMacs evidently neither is ideal and will cause neck problems... you'll just get them worse in the neck joint.

• StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore

I use a footstool like I do with my classical guitar. The construction of the Selmac does not seem to lend itself well to a strap pin IMO.

"When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

There are straps that attach by suction cups (you could use an endpin for one end of the strap instead).

I always liked classical guitar style neck straps that hook to the soundhole. Very minimalist and get the job done, nothing to install, always wondered why aren't they used more.

billyshakesWillie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

@Buco This sounds like a good idea to me. I have one, but forgot it between everything that has accumulated over the years. I would never have thought of screwing anything into the guitar neck, but the pin was there already. If the classical strap works (and why shouldn't it), I will remove the pin.

Buco
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

The length might not be enough, since the petite bouche is higher up than a larger classical round soundhole. Also, not sure if it would work on a D-hole.

edited May 2021 Posts: 825

@Buco, @pdg It works at least with my roundhole! I'll take a screwdriver and remove the pin.

Buco
  • Thanks for the tip @Buco

I ordered one and am sure, at a minimum, it will be perfect for my parlor.

Buco