DjangoBooks.com

Pros and cons of fingerboard extensions

Comments

• TwangTwang New

@Wim Glenn Rude 😜 .

@CraigHensley "Traditional design elements like fingerboard extensions are an example of pointless and outdated details clinging to nostalgia..."

Two words to conjure with there. Tradition and nostalgia. Things that capture our imagination and add colour and character.

Long live the useless fingerboard extension!

CraigHensley
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Evidently I'm in the minority here, but I'm glad to have those extra 3.5 frets on my Altamira M-01D. When I use that guitar through an amp, and employe either my Krivo Djangobucker or Micro Manouche pickup, I put a dab of putty on the side of the pickup & attach it to that tiny end of the extended fretboard. It gives the pickup extra stability (it's also puttied on to the top of the guitar at the bottom of the D-hole) and allows me to have the pickup mostly out of the way of my pick. I can send a photo if anyone needs to see it, but it works well for me.

Buco
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

Just bought this Gerome a couple of month ago. 12 frets to the body. Total of 18. More frets than I can use. I love it !

rudolfochristBucoChrisMartinBillDaCostaWilliamsBones
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Just bought this Gerome a couple of month ago

Delightful looks.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Thats a beauty, but I think the original question referred to fingerboard extensions that partly covered the soundhole; Gerome thoughtfully stopped short on that one. My recently departed Castelluccia had a bit of an extension; by no means the worst offender, just enough to mean the Stimer didn't fit.

• CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault

This is actually one of the only advantages of the fingerboard extension. The extension creates a perfect anchor to set the Krivo against with just enough room to bridge the sound hole while remaining stable with minimal putty. They do sound awesome, though ultimately I prefer the clip-on method.

MikeK

I suppose it wouldn't be that hard to saw it off? Then a little sanding and a touch of finish.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Of course.

Unfortunately many people these days get so hung up on preserving 'originality' that any such modification in the name of improving playability would be frowned upon.

I mean it is not like you are drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa.........

It's tricky with high priced instrument (in a different world Altamira is a high priced instrument, isn't that funny...) because of resale. But even then, if it's a keeper and the extension bothers you then why not.

@MikeK you can still center the Krivo and it'll overlap the top on the ends? Can you show us how it ends up being positioned?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel