DjangoBooks.com

Advice on resurrecting old picks

I've managed to build up a modest pile of old picks that I dont use any more cos the tips have gone. These include a couple of 3.5mm wegens that I'm particularly fond of. I'd like to try to get some more use out of them but am not very good at DIY.

Can anyone advise me on what tools I should get (file sizes, sand paper etc) to shape new tips on these picks? I started a similar thread a short while ago but tools weren't really discussed. Seems a waste to throw these picks away.

How long will it take to shape a new tip? If I'm gonna be there all day I don't think I'll bother.

Comments

Just go to the closest beauty store and get multi sided nail file. That's it...

Twang
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

If you make a worn tip more pointy, you'll have to change the shape of the pick by sanding in the sides as they approach the tip. So, e.g., a Wegen gypsy pick may end up looking a bit more like a Dunlop Jazz II or III pick.

• TwangTwang New

Thanks @pdg and that'll make the pick shorter and less wide. Which I may or may not like and I've also gotta put a bevel back in it. Nothing to lose by giving it a go though.

• edited April 2021 Posts: 7

My absolute fave pick of all time is a worn down Wegan, repointed, but still as wide. I am literally thinking of filing all my wegens down to this shape..or maybe I should just buy all y'alls old wegans haha

rudolfochristTwang
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I remember when I was getting my first Wegen. I talked with Neil Andersson of Pearl Django and he told me to have Michel file the tip down a little so it is like a worn pick. Probably approximates a "button" pick that is also a popular style.

TwangMiranda_Deutsch

It'll take half hour to reshape, about. Take the pick it's still good, put it over the worn one and mark the area of the worn one that needs to be filed. File it flat to the marking and then file the bevel then smooth and polish. At least that's what I do...

TwangMiranda_Deutsch
  • TwangTwang New

Thanks Buco. I kinda get what you’re saying but I’m a bit thick 😁 Thought I’d just keep tapering the sides until I have point then see what I could do with what’s left of the bevel. Thinking of buying a cheap dremel copy from amazon to do it.

@Miranda_Deutsch sounds like plan! 😂

I do like a point on a pick. Helps to give the basses some more punch and definition. I actually think the black Wegens are inferior to the white ones. They are less bright and wear down quicker. This could be in my imagination of course. But others have said the same. Jokkos picks are fab but the ones Ive been getting wear down too quick. He does offer lots of different materials though.

If you like Wegens check out Nick Sansones picks. Pleck is a similiar material. They are the last word imo.

Well, there's a proverb in Bosnia "you can force them to the water, but you can't force them to drink". I have a few from Jokko that wear slowly and have nice tone (they all sound nice) but I have same number that are the opposite and they need some polishing every 1-2 weeks. It doesn't take long to get them back in shape but I'm lazy to be doing it that often.

Twang
  • Oh I love the white wegan vs black wegan convo haha.. Guitar geeks at their (our) best ;) I don't have an opinion (yet!) as I stopped using them for a long time and did the black/purple dunlop thang for ages..some tortoise shell ones from Lollo too... I'll pay more attention now I'm back using my little worn down white wegan! And thanks for the Nick Sansones recommendation :)

Buco that's SO interesting about the 'same' picks needing different frequencies of shaping.. Nousche gave me one of Jokkos and I like it but might file it so it's a little more button shape and the tip is a little thick/round for me at the moment.. Maybe that particular one is a little thick in general for me too.. I like the dip n grip in the wegan

To get the bevel right/consistent do you guys file/sand on a flat surface like a carving tool/chisel ?

Twang

Buco that's SO interesting about the 'same' picks needing different frequencies of shaping.

I mean just made by Jokko but all different materials, I should've been more clear about that. And some of his materials are softer than others. He likes developing new materials so I have several different ones, same basic shape.

Getting the bevel was/is trial and error for me. I just free hand it. One thing I do is I take the pick that hasn't been messed with and eyeball the angle of a file that I need by comparing it to that pick, holding the file on the bevel, then try to match that on the pick I'm working on.

Twang