DjangoBooks.com

The Two Minute Practice Method

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

I’m glad playing for an audience is helping you, Buco.

Just keep doing it seven days a week and eight hours a night, and you’ll be playing like Django in no time!

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."

That's all it takes!

So far, I'm not far off; after busking with Bill on Thursday, on Friday I was teaching a guy in this coffee shop at their outdoor patio so we played a few tunes at the end (I asked a manager to come busk there too, she said send me an email...) then all day outdoor gig today and doing the same gig tomorrow.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
    BillDaCostaWilliams
    edited September 2022 Posts: 1,855

Interesting article!

Here’s something else to consider… have you ever tried playing without watching your fingers?

I don’t know about you, but watching my fingers seems to encourage rote patterns.

Not watching them seems to encourage me to use my ears and my imagination more.

Full disclosure: I got this idea from the Django movie.

The Django character gives this very advice to a bunch of fledgling gypsy guitarists.

billyshakesBuco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • edited September 2022 Posts: 4,739

Here’s something else to consider… have you ever tried playing without watching your fingers?

I don’t know about you, but watching my fingers seems to encourage rote patterns.

Not watching them seems to encourage me to use my ears and my imagination more.

Yes, that's exactly what I commented about a few posts back. It's as if once you do that, your creative mind is leading a charge using the knowledge you have instead of when I'm looking down at it I'm mostly stitching the known patterns together.

But I should also add that these known patterns make it possible to get more creative. They're still the building blocks. Sometimes you hear from some of the big names in jazz world say like, "oh I play what I hear in my mind". Sure, I believe that but they're forgetting to say they didn't get there just trying their whole life to play music they heard in their head. They built a palette to draw from throughout their lifetime.

Yeah, good point.

Whenever I don’t actually have a guitar in my hands and I just sit and listen to the music that my mind creates, surprise!

It sounds almost exactly like the stuff that I play when I do have a guitar in my hands!

What a coincidence!

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams

You're lucky then.

Busking on your own is one awkward experience, at first. But felt great having done it.

A little update here. Received this newsletter with a tip I've been incorporating into my practice. Basically taking a short frequent breaks during your practice. I've been aware of letting something just simmer once you've practiced it for some time but wasn't aware that periods as short as 10 seconds can actually be beneficial. Turns out, they can.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

So have you started setting your timer for 1:50 and leaving :10s rest to make the 2 mins time in the subject line? Or does the method need to be renamed the Two Minute Ten Second practice method? 😂😜

• edited October 2022 Posts: 4,739

I've always set the timer on 2:10. It fell perfectly into that time like they were made for each other. I was, like, this is the real reason why I actually set the timer on 2 minutes, 10 seconds.

billyshakes