DjangoBooks.com

The Two Minute Practice Method

Comments

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

I always try to share this technique when I can, Box/Square Breathing

Try it the next time you are about to jam, perform, speak in public, etc. and it is guaranteed to help you calm down. I do it when I start getting nervous or worked up when playing.

Bonus tip is that it also helps calm your mind down when you are lying in bed trying to sleep and your mind is racing.

If the Navy SEALs use it, then it has to be effective right?

https://www.medicinenet.com/why_do_navy_seals_use_box_breathing/article.htm

Buco
  • edited April 2022 Posts: 4,737

As I started reading about breathing, I ran across "tactical breathing" a technique that military and law enforcement is using. I "surface" read some studies where they compared people doing balance exercises while doing mindful breathing or not...guess who did better? I'll read this tonight hopefully, thanks.

PS was fairly short article. I think I read something similar. Wasn't called anything in particular but I think I read about this general principal of an even inhale, breath hold and exhale. I now remind myself several times a day to deep breathe.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited April 2022 Posts: 825

If you crouch down, you immediately feel your pelvic floor relax, which is necessary for deep breathing.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams

"I think it's a question of breathing technique!"

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
    WillieBillDaCostaWilliams

During breathing exercises we recommend playing air guitar.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • JasonSJasonS New

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on getting faster and they echo my own experience over the last few months. Something I've found helpful is to basically ignore the harmonic context of what I'm playing and only focus on playing good time with a variety of subdivisions. I'm not exactly playing random notes but more just consciously focusing on time instead of the changes. Against a backing track it can sound completely wonky but I really feel that this kind of practice has been very beneficial to my phrasing. It's also fun to come up with wacky outside lines, just remember to resolve!

Buco

Thank you, that's nice to hear. That's on my plate, to focus on short rhythmic phrases and explore a varieties of that rather than chasing the best notes. One thing I wanted to do for a while is instead of learning Django solo, just copy the rhythmic element and past my own notes over it.

• gitane007gitane007 IrelandNew

I have to agree with all of this ........................as Bill Evans once said ...........just practise small bits at a time , just bits.

Buco

That's good to know.