DjangoBooks.com

Small (and big) children draw guitars and other musical impressions

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Jetzt gehen wir im Kreis! Is that dative?

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited September 2021 Posts: 825

@billyshakes

You are right. "Jetzt gehen wir im Kreis" means "Now we go in circles", dative. But I had said "Jetzt geh'n wir in'n Kreis = in den Kreis", accusative (slang version) .

Our pupils learn german spelling using the write-as-speak-method (which is controversial), and wearing a medicinical mouth nose mask can cause additional comprehension problems; so Lale wrote "jezt" and "im" instead of "jetzt" and "in den".

billyshakes
    edited September 2021 Posts: 1,308

Thanks for the lesson. I never understood the cases because I never learned English grammar that way. However, I think that base helped me then understand the cases when I learned Turkish (it has six!). When I go back to German, I start to understand more, but there is the whole confusion where 'der' is masculine in the nominative case, but 'der' is feminine in the dative case....but I think after you speak enough it just starts to come naturally (i.e. das auto sounds correct, but to say der auto just feels off). Perhaps a better example that seems strange is "Er gibt der Frau die blumen." At first, der Frau just seems wrong. When you understand the case meaning though, I can rationalize it. Thanks for the lesson.

Willie

Moritz and Miran nailed it!

Most of these are to phallic for my taste lol.

edited September 2021 Posts: 825

@littlemark

Guitars seem to be kind of phallic instruments. Just remember the things Jimi Hendrix did to his strats during his performances. 😨

@billyshakes "deutsche sprach, schwere sprach!", as they say.

oops, caught!

Emma, 5

Music lesson.

Buco