DjangoBooks.com

Mic and preamp

2»

Comments

• ArcticguitarArcticguitar Anchorage, Alaska

Kungfumonk, if you go through my channel the spring to summer videos are all KM184s in either xy or ortf stereo. It’s mostly ORTF, the first few are xy but once I discovered ORTF I never went back. Then from August on it is mostly mid side with the KM 184 as the mid and the ribbon as the sides. But there are a few mono ribbon experiments in there too. The most recent video, Bei Mir Bist Du Schon, is mono from the ribbon. Mid-side is my favorite, it has excellent mono compatibility, is easy to set up, and is perfect for the sound I’m after. I like messing around with the set up because it is a fun exercise, but if I had to pick one set up it would be mid-side stereo. If I had to just use one mic, it would be the ribbon. I could never get a sound I liked from just a single 184. Plenty of folks get a great sound from that set up, I just never figured it out. My experience has been that the best course of action is to listen to a bunch of stuff, then buy a couple mics and experiment until you get the sound you want. The nice thing about KM184s is that there are a ton of them on the used market, if you take your time and bargain hunt you can find them at reasonable prices.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

The "if I had you" video above sounds great! I prefer it over the other setups. Nice presentation ArcticGuitar! The stereo Km184 is too bright for me but the midside setup is just the best of both worlds it seems.

• ArcticguitarArcticguitar Anchorage, Alaska

Richter, I agree. I could never figure out how to work with the 184. The mid side set up seems to turn the “piercing brightness” of the 184 into “pleasing clarity”.

• edited March 2021 Posts: 4,738

By the way this is a recording with TLM 102. Nothing remarkable except I think it's a true capture of how my guitar sounds. I didn't do any kind of post eq-ing. I'd have to check but it sounds pretty dry, so I don't think there's any added reverb either.

Being mono it's narrow sounding on the headphones but one trick I sometimes use is to duplicate the track, just copy/paste, and then pan them each to the side a little, maybe 40% to the left/right. That opens it up nicely.

Lango-DjangonomadgtrWilliekungfumonk007billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Since I was mentioned , my setup is a KM184 with an Amek Neve Pre. I don't think one needs to get such a high end pre to get a great guitar sound but I record more than guitars and just made sure I had a high end pre. I prefer to get a clear recording which the Neuman gives me but I'll always eq the track to taste so I might pull highs off depending on what is surrounding it. I kind of prefer cutting rather than adding frequencies.

Buco