DjangoBooks.com

Jazz songs named for Jazz clubs

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
in Repertoire Posts: 1,302

The recent post on Le Quecumbar got me to thinking on an idea for an idle discussion topic. What songs are commonly known that are named for jazz clubs or popular ballrooms/bars/etc where jazz is/was played?

Here are a few I thought of:

Melody for Le Quecumbar-Lollo Meier

Lullaby of Birdland

Rose Room

Stompin' at the Savoy

Bricktop

Any others?

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

Comments

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

My girlfriend thought, that lullaby of birdland is about birds in symbolic meaning. So I told her about jazz club named after Charlie Bird Parker and she said: I like the previous meaning more. :D But she sing it with me and it's our favourite song. But sorry I don't know any other's names after clubs. Just mabye about streets. :D

• TwangTwang New

Bistro Fada

Tomasbillyshakes
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Tomas If that "Lullaby" is your favorite song, I'll share with you this fun old sketch from the Muppet Show. Pay particular attention around the 1:10 mark...

Sometimes I wonder what crazy drugs Jim Henson and his puppeteers were on when they made some of these sketches. Funny stuff....but very odd.

Tomas
  • MarkAMarkA Vermont✭✭✭ Holo Epiphany, Gibson L-5
    edited February 2021 Posts: 108

Sippin’ At Bells by Miles Davis

• TomasTomas CzechNew Oval By luthier Jakub Hřib, Gitane birdseye maple "prototype model", Ibanez ag95qa

@billyshakes Love muppets! Thanks. It's our weird hobby at home. And I made one at home and I thinking about make more of them and one will be mabye Django puppet. That's another reason why I like Denis Chang. Because of his bear. And yes... I'm normal adult guy. It will be easier to justify after the birth of a our child...

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristbillyshakes
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

There's one called At Jimmy's Bar but I don't know the back story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNP7SeNAARg

billyshakes
  • PapsPierPapsPier ✭✭

Chez Jimmy was a bar rue Huygens in Montparnasse.

Tony Murena composed several tunes named after clubs: Ciros, Pre Catelan etc

billyshakes
  • MatteoMatteo Sweden✭✭✭✭ JWC Modele Jazz, Lottonen "Selmer-Maccaferri"
    edited February 2021 Posts: 393

I was thinking of that one too, @Wim Glenn. I think the title actually is At The Jimmy's Bar. And there was a place named like that, in Paris. Also, there is a story connected with it (I assume that The Jimmy's Bar is the same as Jimmy's). Django first hired Hubert Rostaing to replace Alix Combell for a gig at Jimmy's. The somewhat unusual job interview is described in Delaunay's book:

Django said "Sit down my son, we'll have a drink".

I had one, two, three ... and still Django didn't say anything. By the time I'd got to my sixth, I was a bit under the weather. It was then Django exclaimed without further ado: "Good, you'll come tomorrow then."

"And not a word had been said about hours or conditions! At that time, it's true, I'd have worked for nothing. Just think, to play with Django!"

BucorudolfochristTomasbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

Puting on the Ritz? I'm sure there is a bar in the hotel. Or ballroom.

• TwangTwang New
    edited February 2021 Posts: 410

Club Tropicano (drinks are free apparently) 😁