DjangoBooks.com

Our new video: Whispering

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited March 2021 Posts: 825

Mr. Neely certainly knows how to explain complex musical relationships, even better than punch's grandmother would have been able to do! Thank you Bill for posting this.

Buco

@Willie that's brilliant! Are you a classical trumpet player too? I'm guessing that's your trumpet playing. It's sounds great to me but I don't really have critical ear for other instruments. Yeah, Chris is well known and highly regarded player and educator in the classical world. I'll tell him about your horn for sure.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

Thank you very much, Buco, for your kind appreciation, but I don't know if I am a trumpeter at all. My main instrument is my voice, I had very fine teaching by jazz as well as classical teachers and had the chance to work as a professional singer for long years. Guitar, wind and brass instruments I learned mostly as an autodidact and never reached any "virtuoso" level. In fact, what can be heard in the recordings I posted in this forum is kind of "the end of the flagpole". I can't do soli like you on guitar or Chris on cornet. As a singer, I can do, as a player, I rather concentrate on sound because I ain't got speed. For working with my kids at school and kindergarden I am glad being able to play with all those different colours.

Buco
  • bopsterbopster St. Louis, MOProdigy Wide Sky PL-1, 1940? French mystery guitar, ‘37 L-4

Always love what you guys come up with Buco!

Buco

Paul, thanks man!

• BonesBones Moderator

Thanks Buco, inspired me to pick up the guitar and learn this nice tune!

Buco

@Buco: do you know the version sung by german vocal group Comedian Harmonists: https://youtu.be/NRx3OQk77SM

There is a german version of the lyrics, totally different to the original one. It starts with "let me sip your bath water", ending up with "let me be your little plug" and kind of clean dirty talk between. Here's an example, remarkable less because of the lyrics than more of the instrumentation, the dresscode (shoes!) and the flugel player's very unusual left hand position: https://youtu.be/8EKBPCj-Ovg.

BucoBonesbillyshakes
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Willie Thank you for that. I didn't know the German word "schlürfen", but I immediately figured it must have an etymological connection to the English verb "to slurp." Then I see it is slurpen in Dutch. You can just see the language change as it migrates East to West. Love it....and the shoes, btw.

Bucorudolfochrist

That really is the ultimate compliment, thanks man.

billyshakesBones

@Willie thanks for sharing those. The vocal harmonies one isn't available to me, I'm guessing one of those territorial things (I can't even see the reason for that...) but I found it on other channels. Like this one, so others can see it too

https://youtu.be/RIxHh7mDAqU

That vocal version sounds super hilarious, love the humor. They're great group too. Thanks man.