DjangoBooks.com

How much do you practice? 2020 in review (and now also 2021 in review).

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Looks like you need to talk to Tony Iommi, who was inspired himself by Django. Jim, that is pretty hardcore fandom you have there! 😆 (In all seriousness, I'm sorry that happened to you and hope you are able to figure it out. Take heart in knowing you aren't the first)

Jim Kaznosky
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Damn, I am so sorry, Jim. Bummer.

Will

Jim Kaznosky
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • BonesBones Moderator

Good luck with the recovery Jim!

Jim Kaznosky
  • edited January 2022 Posts: 1,231

Thanks. I am thankful it is one finger, it is a little bit of it, and it is not my soul source of income for my family.

I'm dabbling in lap steel and keyboard while I recover so it is interesting using the mental skills I learned in this and in bebop to apply as I am physically learning new things. The nice thing is that the conceptual ideas will be there so it really is a matter of technique, which is kind of attractive about this music. That being said, I still have the same thoughts and have really honed down what I practice to learning a concept as well as I can learn it and then trusting my learning to move on.

For example, I was working on a lot of the sixth diminished stuff for about a year and a half. While there is a lot to be found there, it is a way of explaining things that is attractive to my analytical brain. For me, the crucial step was getting my shit together. Like really together. That required being humbled again and working with small bits of information. It took forever for that idea to take root, as it is the crux of some of the famous practice books, but I'm finding it to be truest for me. Some examples include.

• Running scales in one octave and back to the 7th regular, in thirds, in triads, in arpeggios.
    • Doing the same thing with a chromatic note preceding each.
    • Doing it for each inversion.
    • Starting on every string.
    • using the chord or scale degree as a "plane" doing it in front of and behind the plane.
    • Running it in every key
    • Doing it daily with a metronome.

That was kind of the start and I kind of moved on from there to things that were connected, again, one concept at a time. I still learn solos. I still try to think of melody. Understand that these are *starting points and not the goal.* The goal is to make music. However, sometimes music is simple and pretty and I have been trying to open my ear to space and pretty, simple things. Always make time in practice to make music.

This is supposed to be fun and bring joy. As frustrated as we can become by our limitations, we are being shown that our own limitations can create new pathways that are wonderful and full of joy.

That being said, of course I'd love to be playing guitar right now, but I'll find another way as Django, Tony Iommi, Mike Stern, and countless others have.

Music is fun. Music is joy. It is work, but that work should be driven by love. Always remember why you chose this as a means of expression.

geese_comWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochristAndyWDjangheureuxBuco
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

"Music is fun. Music is joy. It is work, but that work should be driven by love. Always remember why you chose this as a means of expression."

This is very important. I have to keep reminding myself of this when I am feeling frustrated and run down while playing and practicing.

• edited January 2022 Posts: 1,231

What are you practicing for? Why are you doing this? It certainly isn't for the girls and money. Stephane W always told me to make sure I build a time to actually play and give myself joy in each practice session. He also said that there are simply going to be days when you have nothing. You have to get through with what you have that day and that may mean simpler things. I wish I really understood this when I was younger instead of chasing something. I'm hear already today. Tomorrow I'll be there and so on.

geese_comrudolfochrist
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Why are you doing this? It certainly isn't for the girls and money.

Now you tell me this!

WilliewimLango-DjangorudolfochristBuco
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503
    edited January 2022 Posts: 461

Very well said. Thank you. As for me, I practice to be better than I was before. I know that might not be the best reason and at some point I will hit a plateau and eventually decline, but until that day I always strive to improve. I know that I will probably not get to the level of someone like Amati Schmitt or Bireli, but I do always want to improve, sound better, and be more musical. I just need to remember that I should also have fun doing it (some days definitely are not). The love of this music and music in general is there, but sometimes "love ain't easy". 😉

wimbillyshakesrudolfochristBillDaCostaWilliamsJim Kaznosky
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

“at some point I will hit a plateau and eventually decline”

That day is many decades away at the earliest, Mr Geese!

geese_com

@Jim Kaznosky are you aware of Sol Hoopii? When i first heard him play i thought "wow where's the Lapsteel", it sounds more like Django Reinhardt to me, great improvisor too;-) His main tuning on electric Lapsteel is EBEg#c#e low to high, so it is open E with the b raised to c#; the intervals on strings 2-6 are the same as on the standard guitar Tuning on strings 1-5, chords sound a lot like a poor man's Big Band instantly!

Jim KaznoskyLango-DjangoBones