DjangoBooks.com

To case or not to case?

2»

Comments

I had a friend do exactly that at my place after a jam. Luckily the floor is carpeted.

Twang
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

I use the humidipaks as well. Over kill?

With the locks. I use one lock on the case. The one by the handle. Just to make sure I don't do that.

Twang
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Good, constructive comments, all of you. I appreciate the helpful advice and especially the consistently thoughtful & gentle delivery employed on this forum. That's why it's the only forum I've ever regularly been a part of. Kudos to Michael for hosting, and Buco, Bones, Will & all the other guys doing the heavy lifting that inspires the rest of us & helps us along this musical journey. Happy New Year to all of you Djangologists.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesLango-Django
  • TwangTwang New

It's the best kept secret that Gypsy Jazz attracts the best kind of people. The only problem is that they're all too damn talented!😡😂

BucoMikeKbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesMichaelHorowitz
  • ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

I'll add a different opinion since I'm the minority here.

I live in San Francisco, and leave my guitar out but next to a hydrometer. When humidity gets below 20% I case it up with a humidifier. Otherwise I leave it out, because I enjoy looking at it, use it for stress relief during the day, and practice it much more often if it's left out. SF is very temperate, so it's out nearly 24/7.

I've heard of gypsy players who smoke even using their guitars as ash trays since the ash dries out the wood, and drier wood usually sounds better. But guitars get rekt in this so-called "gypsy lifestyle."

I'm not going for the gypsy lifestyle, but I think guitars are made to be played and not tucked away. I also know there will always be another guitar that sounds and plays great. So I think it's more about the balance of playing vs preserving. In more harsh climate, you'll need to preserve more... But if it's impacting how much you play, play more. There will always be another guitar.

I actually have a seasonal rotation. In my living room I have two well hangers (not on an outside wall ;) ), in the summer when it is humid I have my archtop and gypsy guitar on the wall. Now that it's winter, I have my two solid body electrics hanging, and the others away in their cases.