DjangoBooks.com

Street playing

2»

Comments

• ChristopheCaringtonChristopheCarington San Francisco, CA USANew Dupont MD50, Stringphonic Favino, Altamira Chorus

Ooh, once in my life is also a great one!

I ended up going ton a bit of spree seeing if I could find any other gypsy jazz players doing their interpretation, and found some little gems here and there:

Joscho going crazy

Didn't even know the Rosenberg trio even did this song... Check out Nouche's rhythm especially.

Ludovic beier tearing it up with Sébastien Giniaux:

Not gypsy jazz, but some incredible licks especially from Martin Miller here:

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Busking is a great way to hone your skills for gigging and can be a ton of fun. I've never done it in Rome, but I did it weekly for about a year in Asheville, NC when I first started getting into this music & I have some great memories from that period. Here are some things I learned along the way:

As always, try to surround yourself with players that are better than you. You'll learn a lot and it will help you improve quickly, especially if you're humble & not afraid to ask them questions.

As with any business venture, make it easy to get paid. Have a good-sized tip jar, clearly marked as such, with seed $ to get them started. I'm always surprised when I see folks busking who violate this simple rule.

Try to make friendly eye-contact with the audience when you can. People seem to appreciate that, especially if you can manage an occasional smile. When the audience sees musicians smiling at them, and better yet smiling at each other, the tips tend to flow better.

Someone mentioned it, but be certain you have a permit if you need one. And familiarize yourself with the local busking ordinances, if they have them in your area. You can get in fairly serious trouble in some regions for violating them.

Remember, pretty much any song can be played as a gypsy jazz song. That's one of key elements of this music that makes it so much fun.

Lastly, get the word out among the strong GJ players in your area that you're busking, preferably at a regular time and place each week. When I did that, the good players started joining me (my time-slot was during the day, when other gigs weren't happening). Then, as my skills & confidence improved, they started offering me paying gigs. And it all began with busking.

BucoBonesBillDaCostaWilliamsrudolfochrist
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Then, as my skills & confidence improved, they started offering me paying gigs

This reminded me of a Django in June workshop hosted by the late John McGann, whose musicianship and storytelling were legendary.

”Pay close attention and follow my advice,” he said. “It could earn you hundreds of dollars a year.”

BonesBuco
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • There’s some truth. I mean I was never making a fortune, but I paid my rent in Seattle for a few years exclusively from busking hot club music and gigs that I scored from busking

BucoBonesbbwood_98