DjangoBooks.com

Anybody's ever played this Hofma guitar?

I'd been interested in Gypsy Jazz for long, but had never got around to buy a selmer style for being too dear. When I was living in Brazil (Fortaleza), I visited music shops, and a d-hole caught my eyes. Down there you don't see many european or american guitars,they have like 60% taxes on imports. I bargained the price, and got it for a little more than 600 reais, about 150 € back then. I guess it had been sitting there for a long time, mechanics a bit rusted. The model is YD-40, no serial number, made in brazil I guess... VERY LOUD, selmer construction with quite good wooden bridge, wonky mechanics but what could I expect. I was wondering if anybody had tried those guitars, and what was the impression compared to other entry level guitars

BucoBonesbillyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Never heard one but for 150 how can you go wrong if it plays and is loud. Cool.

PaulusdeCesare
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I too had never heard of the brand so did a quick Google. They seem to be sold mainly in both Brazil and Malaysia which is a strange combination to start with. Then further digging has some made in either of those countries and also Korea and Taiwan get a mention. The logo is also deliberately styled in a similar script to the better known Hofner although no guitars I can find resemble any Hofner models. I did not find any other Selmac lookalikes either. My best guess would be the name is owned by one of those traditional Asian trading companies from Malaysia that has an importer in Brazil and has guitars made for them by any number of Asian factories. If so, there will be no common factors regarding quality, materials used, resale prices etc but not to worry, for that price if it sounds ok you got a good deal (tuners are an easy fix).

PaulusdeCesare
  • PaulusdeCesarePaulusdeCesare Barcelona, SpainNew Hofma YD40

Yes, I did get lucky! Thank for the research! I highly recommend it to anybody who gets to cut a deal like me, I did play a few Ciganos and to be honest, mine sounds better, although I'm afraid they might not very consistent qualitywise... I do get a lot of wolf tones, but as an axe to learn GJ on, it's a bargain. When I timidly jammed with it at Samois a couple of years ago, I was surprised that it was as loud as an amazing Mauro Freschi guitar (as tone though... I won't even begin to compare it)