DjangoBooks.com

How many people swap out the E and B on Argentine 10-45s?

2»

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

Yes, I do this — it's my go-to setup. :)

• geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

I do this as well. I got the idea from one of @adrian's old posts

Steven_B
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

I must be missing something here...I'm wondering why you wouldn't just buy sets of Argie 11's from Michael? I've been buying them for years and have never had a problem with them. I dont mean to be confrontational, I'm really just curious as to why anyone would go to the trouble of buying heavier strings just for the B and E, then ending up with a bunch of extra strings around.

@MikeK for me it used to be that overall I liked the sound of the 10s better but high E would kinda fret out and get buzzy with the way I picked. So I'd swap it for 11 which sounded cleaner and/or clearer. But like I mentioned earlier I stopped because I figured the sound and tone should be up to me. Personally I never saw the need to swap out the B string, that one has plenty of muscle even in the 10 set.

vanmalmsteen
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Yeah, those .10 E strings can get..well, “plinky” or “overpicked” I call it... hard to describe, but it’s not a nice sound.

Probably caused by me having a somewhat heavy hand, but what the hell, for acoustic guitar playing that’s not a bug, it’s a feature...

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

If what you want is the 1510 on EADG and then 1510MF on BE then it's actually cheaper to buy full sets of 1510's and waste the top BE. Doesn't seem to make sense, but that's how it works out with djangobooks pricing.

2x 1510 bulk discount 5-packs, plus 10-packs of single B and E would be:

45 + 45 + 15 + 15 = $120

Just shopping singles: https://www.djangobooks.com/Category/argentine_single

24 + 23 + 25 + 26 + 15 + 15 = $128

I actually used to do this too many years ago, but nowadays I just prefer the straight 1510MF set.

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Thanks Buco. I've actually never tried the Argies in 10's on my guitars. I started with the 11's & they've worked really well for me, so I've stuck by them. I wipe them down after every gig (2-3 per week before the pandemic, now 1-2 per week) and I change them on my guitars once a month. But I have noticed how thin the high-E feels on other guys' guitars that use 10's, when I swap guitars for a song or 2 (pre- pandemic!) Thanks for explaining it.

Buco
  • DeuxDoigts_TonnerreDeuxDoigts_Tonnerre Lawrenceville GA USANew Stringphonic #503 Basic, Altamira M30D, Eastman AR810CE, Giannini Craviola

I normally use a 1510 set but I tried a 1510MF recently and really liked how the B and E felt.  Had to get used to the rest of the strings having heavier gauge.  Once it was time to change I went back to 1510s and I am pretty happy with them.  I may try swapping out the B and E.  For me, a 10 usually feels and sounds fine, but sometimes I wish it had a little more meat to it, especially when I am picking hard. 

At the moment though, I am with Buco.  I am trying to use technique to get the best sound that I can out of my instrument.